Is it safe to use a CO2 Regulator with an adapter on a Nitrogen tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aphelion_blue

Reaction score
I have tried finding this answer but am getting mixed messaging. I have a Taprite CO2 regulator (3741-br-30mt) which has a serving pressure gauge that goes up to 30 psi, and a tank pressure gauge that goes up to 2000 psi. The back of the regulator says it can handle 3000 psi despite the tank gauge only going to 2000 psi. I have read that the Nitrogen tank has 2200 psi.

With all that being said, is it safe to add a Nitrogen tank adapter to this regulator and hook it up to my Nitrogen tank? The Taprite website says the regulator type is "beer, co2, home draft, primary, tank mount, low pressure, series 3740". It doesn't mention Nitrogen but in my mind, if it can handle 3000 psi it should be fine. Am I thinking about it wrong? Is this unsafe? Could it break the gauge that only goes up to 2000?

Attachments

• Taprite Back.jpg
    Taprite Back.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • Taprite Front.jpg
    Taprite Front.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
I've seen the adapters for sale from different vendors. I think if it wasn't safe they wouldn't sell them. I'd rather spend $ on a different regulator then be limited to serving nitro only .

The viability of re-purposing that regulator for "nitrogen" duty may depend on usage.
eg: if the required dispensing pressure exceeds the low pressure gauge's range that's going to be an operational issue.

If this is truly nitrogen for something like dispensing flat wine through a conventional faucet, that will work fine.
Otoh, if this is actually "beer gas" for driving stout through a stout faucet, 30 psi may not be high enough, and now you're out of scope...

Cheers!

Back