Is it possible to overpitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carne de Perro

Reaction score
The brew I'm planning for this upcoming week is a mild. (Sumtin fer da missus) I'll be making a starter for the first time and was curious if it was possible to pitch too many yeast into a batch. So far as I know the only downside to overpitching is wasting the extra starter wort on yeast you didn't need, but is there a detrimental effect on the beer?

No. Many people routinely pitch high gravity worts on the cake from a previous batch, which is far more yeast than any starter would have.

I think the only way you could see any detrimental effect is if you have such a large yeast starter that it actually flavors your beer (i.e., you have a lot of wort/beer in your starter, and you didn't pour it off first). Of course, that's not really overpitching so much as diluting and modifying.

Overpitching is possible, and could contribute to autolysis, however as a homebrewer the remote possibility of any of us overpitching is, well er....remote.

Underpitching on the other hand, I'd hazard a guess that 60-80% of homebrewers in the universe underpitch most of the time. I'd be more concerned with underpitching then overpitching.

Good to know, I've seen lots of ink on how important it is to pitch enough yeast but never seen anything on pitching too much. Figured if it was a problem it was a small one but thought I'd ask. Ironicly I'll be pitching a starter for the first time with my upcoming batch. Why is that ironic? Cause I'm brewing a mild for the SWMBO and the estimated SG is only 1.035! Thought I'd take the opportunity to try my hand at starter making with a batch that wasn't too expensive. (Slightly underhanded I know, but it's for a good cause.) ;)

Is it possible... yeah... probable... no. Of all the things possible, overpitching yeast is probably something of the last thing you should worry about. Underpitching actually is much more of a problem.

Back