Is it ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Ok, this is my 1st time making a 5 gallon batch so here's the deal.

Started on Friday. Saturday I seen lots of activity in airlock. Sunday morning nothing. SG before pitching yeast was 1.041, SG 48 hours in was 1.017.

Am I on track or should i be worried that the yeast fizzled out?

Sounds like you pitched healthy yeast and all is well. It'll probably come down a few more pts over the next 5-7 days.

Good, I would be disappointed if my 1st 5-gallon batch failed.

The yeast usually complete primary fermentation in the first 3-5 days. However, during that period they also produce compounds that can create off flavors. For the remaining time they shift from consuming maltose to other available nutrients, including those that they produced in the first phase of fermentation. Kind of like frat boys that come to your house, drink all your beer, trash the place and then clean up. That's why most recommendations are to not rush the beer. I always do 4 weeks primary before I bottle.

Yeah. When the rapid bubbling slows or stops,it's generally a sign that only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. I then leave it in primary 7 give it another 3-7 days to clean up the by products of fermentation referred to above. It'll also start settling out clear or slightly misty at that time as well. then prime & package it.

What were your pitch/ferment temps? What yeast did you use?

Good thing for me my local brew shop always emails a receipt so that I can remember what I used.

Temp was around 70F and used safbrew s-33.

It occured to me after my original post that a ferm time that fast might be on the high end for your temp range. Is 70 what you were going for, or do you have temp control? Not to fear Im sure it will be fine but if you're not in control of your temps getting setup for that would be beneficial to keep your yeasties happy.

It occured to me after my original post that a ferm time that fast might be on the high end for your temp range. Is 70 what you were going for, or do you have temp control? Not to fear Im sure it will be fine but if you're not in control of your temps getting setup for that would be beneficial to keep your yeasties happy.

no temp control. Cooled to 70 in ice bath and then it's whatever the temp in my bedroom closet is.

Keep in mind that if your closet is 70 then the beer is going to be a good 5*F warmer if not more, not sure if you meant beer or air temp. 70F ambient temp would probably be warmer than you want for most yeast. Anyway a common method to keep it cooler would be to leave the fermenter surrounded by water and exchange frozen water bottles once a day or as often as needed so that could take heat back out of the wort. I used to do this with the bottom half of a large trash can.

Back