Is it normal have a low og

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalpysko

Reaction score
Didn't make a lambic but I did do the different rests for a lambic on a some what ipa it was 1.030 now would the 4 rests really affect the out come of the eff

The rests may have an effect on conversion and efficiency but if anything it would be greater. What is your recipe and process?

metalpysko said:
10 lbs 6 row and 5 different hops

You got 45% efficiency, definitely something wrong there. It could be the grain crush, that's usually the first thing to examine. Then you need to make sure you're mash is done converting with a simple iodine test. Next you need to look at your volumes and the temp of your sparge.

If I think I'll be getting a little low of efficiency on my system for whatever reason I'll mash with .75 quarts per lb (thick) and then use a ton of sparge water putting me 10% over my projected preboil. This is usually only for huge grain bills where my runoff won't go below 1.010

I'm guessing it was a problem with your crush.

Latest posts

Back