Is it legal to send homebrew overseas in the mail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewclearAssault

Reaction score
I have a friend in Norway who knows I've started homebrewing on my own, and is curious about what I've made. Every Christmas we send eachother packages through the mail, and this year I want to surprise her and send her some microbrews from Wisconsin and some homebrews I've made myself- but I'm not sure if its legal, or how much it would cost. Does anyone have any experiences with this, or should I just go to the post office and ask them directly?

It's for sure illegal to send booze via USPS, and while it may be discouraged or against certain policies for UPS/Fed-Ex, it may or not be "illegal"

How's that for an answer? ;)

I would say that if the shipper is fine with it, make sure paperwork is filled out properly on customs and declaration forms. Ensure that it is not illegal in the country that you are sending it to. I would imagine that it would be a $0 value item as it is a home brew, and you aren't licensed to sell alcohol in your home country, but there may be applicable duties and taxes due on it within the receiving country.

There may be a combination of state/provincial laws (such as the definitions for personal use) that could prohibit the export of home brewed alcohol, but other than that, the main issue will most likely be laws related to the country in which you are shipping to.

What happens to pressurised bottles if they go airmail? Do they explode or do they survive (assuming the parcel handlers don't break them)?

I've heard of guys labeling them as "yeast samples", but I have never dared to do it myself.

What happens to pressurised bottles if they go airmail? Do they explode or do they survive (assuming the parcel handlers don't break them)?

I've flown across the country with bottles of beer in my checked luggage and nothing happened.

You can't ship USPS but you can go FedEx or UPS. One of two things are going to happen:
1. They will ship it.
2. They will refuse to.
They are not going to report you to local authorities for trying to ship a couple bottles to your friend.
I have mine packed and shipped to competition via UPS. They know exactly what it is and have never given me any issues.

Excellent, I'll give it a shot then as it gets closer. I wasn't sure if I should waste my time trying if some of you have had experience with it but i'll at least try now. Much appreciated, folks :D [I'll letcha know what they tell me].

Back