Is it infected?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LILJONNYWV

Reaction score
I am not sure if my beer is infected. Could someone help me out om this one?

ForumRunner_20120107_101752.jpg

ForumRunner_20120107_101752.jpg

I've gotten that stuff in several of my beers. I can't figure it out either. I've gone way detailed in sanitizing, and it's helped a little. However, even with that stuff in there, when siphoning it out, the majority of it will cling to the side walls, and I leave about .5-1" of beer in the fermenter, and ie never had any of flavors from it.
Still, I'd like to know what it is!

crazy out of control yeast rafting?

the pics are a bit dark and it's hard to see what we're looking at, but personally i've never seen rafting like that.

I am about 2.5 weeks into it and going to bottle tomorrow.

OP, is this stuff on top going away with time, staying the same, or growing? i don't think (think, not know) it's an infection, but i've never seen that myself. how does the beer taste? is the gravity stable after 2.5 weeks, or is it still dropping? what is the SG at the moment? all things to consider when worrying about an infected batch.

I got that in my last batch and I thought it could have been from to much air space in the secondary. Any of the pro's think this could be?

It almost reminds me of a lacto infection starting. But no webs between blobs & bubbles that I can see for sure.

Back