Is it illegal to brew beer in a hotel room...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrustyOlJohnson

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In Texas?? My company has assigned me to 7 weeks of training and the idea is to brew a Hefeweizen at home and pitch the yeast, drive two days to Texas and put the ferm bucket in the closet. Ferment it warm (68-70) and then after 3 weeks bottle and condition it. Thoughts anyone??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No, not illegal to brew in a hotel room. The hotel management might find it objectionable, but that's another issue.

I would guess if you left it tucked away in the closet you should be fine, as long as you don't have a gusher and the maids find krausen splattered all over the room when they come to change the sheets (my biggest gushers have been with hefe yeasts).

The most interesting part will be travelling 2 days with actively fermenting wort in the back seat....

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/personal_importation.asp

Looks like legally you are only allowed a case.

Just adhere to very good sterilization and pitch the yeast when you cross the boarder if you are really trying to obey the letter of the law.

Better yet, Texas has some great Craft Beers. Most Breweries do "Tours" which are mainly tastings of their beers.

The DFW metroplex has at least 10 breweries.

Austin has a ton. I'm guessing Houston Plenty also.

Hopefully, your training will be close to one of these areas.

Might wait to pitch the yeast until you get it to the hotel?

That way you can seal the bucket up for the 2 day car ride, and don't have to worry about trying to control the temps in the trunk or wherever.... Also, less chance of making a mess if it does start going crazy.

Just don't leave any Sudafed tablets or wrappers laying around. :)

Seriously thou, why not look around on here and see if you can find someone close to where you are staying in Texas and see if your can use some space at their place, you might even make a new friend. It would also save on the equipment you would have to transport.

I think I'm going to start doing all my brews in hotel rooms. Really cuts down on the cleanup.

Lol! Really hopin I dont have a blowoff. I figured I'll put the wort in a bottling bucket and pitch the yeast the mornin I leave, that way any sloshing will only aerate the wort in the first 48, then use the temp contoller in the hotel room (ferm chamber) to control temps. All in the bottling bucket. After 4 weeks, dissolve some bottling sugar in the coffee pot with hot water, add it to bucket, gently stir, bottle and be done with it!! Shud be fine. Minimal equipment and fuss. Sterilize the bottles with Star san in a clean sink. One tube off the bucket to bottle

I don't get it. So you're bringing wort on a road trip to ferment once you get there. Then while staying in a hotel room, bottle it. Just to bring the bottles back home to drink? I'm sorry, I just don't get why.

I'd brew a big Imperial something and let it sit at home for the 7 weeks you'll be gone knowing you'll be coming home to a fully fermented and slightly aged beer, ready to bottle.

Lol! Really hopin I dont have a blowoff. I figured I'll put the wort in a bottling bucket and pitch the yeast the mornin I leave, that way any sloshing will only aerate the wort in the first 48, then use the temp contoller in the hotel room (ferm chamber) to control temps. All in the bottling bucket. After 4 weeks, dissolve some bottling sugar in the coffee pot with hot water, add it to bucket, gently stir, bottle and be done with it!! Shud be fine. Minimal equipment and fuss. Sterilize the bottles with Star san in a clean sink. One tube off the bucket to bottle

A couple of thoughts. Many hotel rooms, at least where I stayed, the a/c kicks off after a certain amount of time and/or someone comes in and turns it off. I stayed at Element hotels and though I would leave the a/c set to 68, I would come back and it would be off. Something to consider in Texas where it could be hot today and cold tomorrow.

I don't understand why you want to brew at home and pitch yeast before you get to Texas. First, you're not brewing in a hotel room and therefore, the question is basically moot. Pitching yeast and then driving is not doing anything any favors. I think the second that wort starts to ferment, you're introducing unnecessary oxygen. Just pitch the yeast in Texas. I don't think the goal is ever to brew, pitch, then aerate. I could be wrong but I brew, aerate and pitch. You will, without much doubt, have temperature control issues during your two day drive. If you wait to pitch the yeast, you will likely have less chance of off flavors.

As for the hotel, again, you're brewing at home so who cares about legality? Is it illegal to ferment in a hotel? I've never thought about it. How come you don't just brew a nice big beer that appreciates aging and bottle when you get home? Or is the point to have 2 cases of beer with you? I would take advantage of the craft beer in Texas and leave my HB at home. That is just me though. I doubt you'll have issues with it fermenting as long as you keep it well tucked away.

PS: I would never drink anything that came from a hotel coffee pot after seeing what people have done to and in them. The best you'd see me use is a Keurig which are in some hotels.

I don't get it. So you're bringing wort on a road trip to ferment once you get there. Then while staying in a hotel room, bottle it. Just to bring the bottles back home to drink? I'm sorry, I just don't get why.

I'd brew a big Imperial something and let it sit at home for the 7 weeks you'll be gone knowing you'll be coming home to a fully fermented and slightly aged beer, ready to bottle.

Something to do? Last I checked bottling takes forever and it is better than watching TV. Seems like a great activity while on the road training.

I really enjoy my hobby. Guess Im a beer geek. And prob by week 5 I'll have homebrew to drink that I made there. Also, at home, I'll have a Maibock, Schwarzbier, Helles Octoberfest, Dopplebock, and Rauchbier lagering. No room left to store anything else while Im gone. I plan on taking my Alt, Pilsner, caribou Slobber and Buffalo Sweat to share until the Hefe is ready.

Something to do? Last I checked bottling takes forever and it is better than watching TV. Seems like a great activity while on the road training.

Something to do.... really?

So let me get this straight, brew beer at home and lug 5 gallons of wort on a 2 day road trip. Get to the hotel and pitch the yeast. Hope to somehow control the temps for a few days and let it finish up over 3 weeks. Then after 3 weeks, bottle the beer while at the hotel (oh yea, we didn't mention bringing two cases of bottles and all other needed bottling equipment along with all the other things you'll need for a 7 week business trip). All just to "have something to do?".

Hey, if that sounds even remotely enjoyable to you, go for it. It sounds crazy to me.

You could build a mini-ferment chamber and duct tape it to the a/c unit. Make a lager!!!

A little finagling with the thermostat would be necessary. I don't think they would mind you tearing it off the wall...

You could build a mini-ferment chamber and duct tape it to the a/c unit. Make a lager!!!

A little finagling with the thermostat would be necessary. I don't think they would mind you tearing it off the wall...

I considered a Kölsch, but decided the lagering would bring too much attention lol (ie cold maids)

Don't forget to tell the maid you have a biological experiment going on in your closet and it is very important that she not disturb it or tell anyone about it.

They will appreciate this and not say a word:pipe:

Something to do.... really?

So let me get this straight, brew beer at home and lug 5 gallons of wort on a 2 day road trip. Get to the hotel and pitch the yeast. Hope to somehow control the temps for a few days and let it finish up over 3 weeks. Then after 3 weeks, bottle the beer while at the hotel (oh yea, we didn't mention bringing two cases of bottles and all other needed bottling equipment along with all the other things you'll need for a 7 week business trip). All just to "have something to do?".

Hey, if that sounds even remotely enjoyable to you, go for it. It sounds crazy to me.

I don't want to do it. I don't bottle beer anymore. Too much damn work! But if the OP does then why discourage? Homebrewing is all about weird, strange, off beat stuff. This certainly classifies as that kind of stuff, eh?

So, what are you going to name this beer? Bed Bug Breakfast Ale?

Anytime I traveled for business or pleasure, my goal was to spend as little time in my hotel as possible, and to experience as much of the local culture as possible. I am pretty sure in most populated parts of Texas I could find something more culturally enlightening to do than hold up in a hotel room babysitting a beer that was fermenting.

The idea to find a local homebrewer was the best suggestion on here if you are really set on brewing during your trip.

for a hefe, I would let it ferment 1 week, bottle for 1 week, stick it in the fridge a few days (maybe) and drink it. by the time it's ready you'd be close to leaving right? might as well have some to enjoy while you're there :)

I don't want to do it. I don't bottle beer anymore. Too much damn work! But if the OP does then why discourage? Homebrewing is all about weird, strange, off beat stuff. This certainly classifies as that kind of stuff, eh?

I'm not discouraging. I'm trying to wrap my head around "WHY?". See the next post by illinoisbrassman. Go out and experience the local culture/flavor. Jesus, whatever it is has to be better than sitting in a hotel room watching a fermentor or bottling a beer.

I'm not discouraging. I'm trying to wrap my head around "WHY?". See the next post by illinoisbrassman. Go out and experience the local culture/flavor. Jesus, whatever it is has to be better than sitting in a hotel room watching a fermentor or bottling a beer.

During fermentation, it jus sits. A quick check of the temps the first week and thats it. Bottling. 90 mins. Then it sits 2 more weeks. And drink. All the work is done at home. And the hefe was chosen cause if it does run a lil bit warm, more banana and clove, which is a good thing. Jus keeps the pipeline moving for the time during training. And breaks up the monotony of training

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

7-weeks is a long time to experience culture every night. I am an introvert though, perhaps that has some bearing on my views. Besides, some places in Texas, or anywhere in the country, can be pretty drab and not worth going out on the town. I have been to some of those places. I would rather just bottle beer.

I have also been to some cool places and loved going out and experiencing stuff. Down time would still be important to me and working with beer would be sweet. It isn't like he is just there for a week. It is 7-weeks. That is quite a bit of time to get a feel for the local flavors.

If someone else is footing the bill, rent a mini-fridge from the hotel and use it as a ferm chamber! Just bring along a fridge controller!

"Hefe-Westin"??
"Home Away from Home-brew"??
"Texas Hotel Hefe"??

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I wouldn't bother. There are just times other things in life take priority over brewing. This sounds like one of then to me. Also, I try to brew the best beer I can. The conditions you will probably be dealing with don't sound like the best situation.

What's illegal about a big bottle of "grain-juice" in your closet? You're not brewing beer there. And you're not even bringing alcohol into the hotel.

This screams for a test of the Jamil-no-boil-brew-from-an-extract-can test. Do what he did in his Brewcaster challenge against Moscow, and take a carboy with you, along with some starsan and a can or two of extract (you can probably get a hefeweizen kit). Dissolve the extract in water, pitch a couple smack-packs, and you're done. I have to admit, I actually did this with an oatmeal stout kit for the helluvit, and it turned out ok. The beer scored a 33 from a bjcp master judge in a local comp. This would be perfect road trip beer. If you pitch enough yeast, the fermentation will be done in 3-4 days, and you could probably bottle at 10 days or so and be enjoying the fruits (banana, barf) of your labor at 21 days. You'll have just enough brew to last for the 7 weeks of your trip.

I'm a little disappointed in this thread, I thought we were going to get into the best way to get a 60 min boil out of a dresser and a night stand because you couldn't pack your burner. How much ice in the bathtub was required to cool 5 gallons unless of course you could tap into the fire system and run the water through your IC. And various strategies for lagering in the mini-fridge without the service staff realizing the M&Ms are gone. Oh well, hope you got your answer.

I would definitely wait until you get to the hotel to pitch the yeast because you are going to aerate the hell out of the wort in your 2 day drive. Plus once it starts fermenting it is technically an alcoholic beverage and a lot of states have laws against how much you can transport across state lines, and 5 gallons worth could be too much.

This is one screwball idea. But hey, that's no reason not to do it.

Brew at home.
Pitch yeast in hotel.
Set AC how you want and post the Do Not Disturb sign. Of course, for this long of a stay, they may want to get in. Just pile your own dirty clothes over it for one day a week. The maids won't be interested in your dirty clothes.

Back