Is it dead ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
I'm a first time mead maker-got a simple mead recipe out of a brew supply catologue-figured what the heck.... recipe was for a gallon but I figured-"go big or go home" so the batch was calculated for 6 gallons

12 lbs clover honey
water( to disolve honey)-topped to 6 gals.
after adding the following
3 tsp.yeast nutrient
1-1/2 tsp.acid blend

The recipe called for Lalvin D47-I didn't have any so I looked up the yeasts and compaired characteristics and settled on Red Star Premier Cuvee pitched at 65-75 degrees. Recipe states it'll primary for 2 weeks then "decant" into a secondary add 3 tsp. potasium sorbate and 1-1/2 cps more honey and let it sit for another 2 weeks.......

Well, fermentation lasted slowly for about 8 days-nothin spectacular.... I've always found that the less fuss made over "a batch" the better so it's still in the primary after just over three weeks the stuff appears to still have yeast in suspension ie: the stuff still looks thick..... Is it still on the right track or do I need to add more(better) yeast ?

This is also the first batch of anything I've made w/out rehydrating my dry yeast-could that be a problem ?
I didn't take a hydro. reading before or at this point for what it's worth.

I'm open for suggestions and pointers so.... Lemme know what you all think-I've made alot of real good stuff with the help of this foru and it's members-Thanks in advance. Shane

When I made my melomel the fermentation started very slow and eventually got stuck after about 9 days. I added some yeast energizer and pitched another packet of yeast and it took off. The energizer I used called for 1/2 tsp per gallon. Also rehydrated the yeast and aerated the must.

The cuvee yeast is a low foamer, so it may be fermenting right along & just not looking like it to the eye; the best way to tell is by taking hydrometer readings. You could also add some D.A.P. (diammonium phosphate) or yeast energizer & that will help to move things along. Regards, GF.

Checked it tonight with a hydro--dropped it right into the primary-almost couldn't get it back !!.... the top was just about under the liquid.....(just kiddin') the hydro read 1.000. I guess that's just about as close to fermented out as it can get. now to age it ??(Should I ?) the recipe states -"decant it" to secondary and age for a couple weeks-Should I ? also the mead is still "thick" looking,should it clear like a fruit wine ?
Again,any and all input is greatly appreciated. Shane

Ya rack it into a secondary and age it a bit, it will clarify, it might take a while, but don't bottle it until you can read a newspaper through the mead.

You had just about 2 lbs of honey per gallon, so it will be a light mead and can ferment very quickly. It should also clear a little quicker and will not have a lot of hot esters that need a long time to mellow out.
I would recommend letting it sit in a carboy for around 6 months until you can read a newspaper through it. Then it's ready to bottle. Drinking at your leisure, but you really do want to hide and forget about a couple of bottles for a few years.

Back