Is it blow off time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacharias

Reaction score
My double bubble style air lock is bubbling nearly constantly on the chocolate stout I brewed yesterday, I'm thinking its time for a blow off tube. Even though this is not a very high gravity OG beer (1.057), do I need one?

is the liquid in your airlock turning brown? If so then I would say yes, a blow off would not be a bad idea. Typically I only use a blow off on high gravity beers that I know are going to ferment violently. saves me the mess

The airlock fluid isnt brown, but i pulled it out and peeked in and the krausen is really close to it, so i figure better safe than sorry. I see by your user name you have a jeep, are you on jeepin.com forums at all?

I use a blow-off tube for all primary ferments. OG has nothing to do with if you will need a blow off tube or not. I've had it come close already where the tiny hole in the airlock (on the fermenter side) was plugged with crap, and don't want to risk a blown fermenter.

I use a blow-off tube for all primary ferments. OG has nothing to do with if you will need a blow off tube or not. I've had it come close already where the tiny hole in the airlock (on the fermenter side) was plugged with crap, and don't want to risk a blown fermenter.

+1, also I don't know what it is about stouts, but they tend to make a bigger blowoff then others.

I just had the lid to my fermenter blow open after my 3-piece airlock became clogged from the krausen. I wish I was around to hear it. I'll be using a blow off tube next time.

+1, Any beer could blow off. If you're at all worried I would use one. The mess is not worth the risk.

Agreed, it is easier to just set up a blow off up front than clean up the mess post accident.

One word, one cheap product: Fermap-S.

Stuff is a god send. Eliminates the need for a blow off and improves head retention when compared to a beer that has gotten krausen in the blow off. Wish I could find the link that talks about head retention but am currently unable.

Definatley just caught my IPA just as it was frothing through the airlock, was pushing it so hard it was all tilted to the side. Got that blow off valve in there juuuuust in time it seems.

I'm brewing a beer tonight that I'll be using a blow off tube for the first time. My question is how often do you find yourself changing the water/star-san?

I might not be around everyday to watch the beer over the holidays, but I just want to make sure it isn't something that needs to be monitored everyday before I brew tonight.

-Kev

You will only need to clean up after one blown air lock blows off and crap goes all over and if its in a closet like a lot are doesnt come off the paint that well. Since this clean up I have ALWAYS used a blow off tube into a 1.5gal of sanitized water and that even over flows on some so I put it in a bucket of water

I have asked the question before. No real need to change the water or the blow off line that has gotten yeast in it from what some of the experts tell me.

I'm brewing a beer tonight that I'll be using a blow off tube for the first time. My question is how often do you find yourself changing the water/star-san?

I might not be around everyday to watch the beer over the holidays, but I just want to make sure it isn't something that needs to be monitored everyday before I brew tonight.

-Kev

.................... never. My star san, krausen, blow off water sits there for 3 weeks whether it blows off or not. Never gets changed until it gets dumped out on bottling day.

Back