is it always necessary to take the original gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmc0811

Reaction score
I started my first brew the other day it is a brewers best IPA, I'm on day two of the fermentation process. After the whole process of chilling and pitching the yeast I forgot to check the original gravity. Will this cause any issues other than me not knowing what my ABV might be? I will still make sure I check the FG to know when the fermenting is completed and ready to bottle.

Necessary? Not exactly, but definitely helpful to know if your beer is finished, if the yeast worked as planned, to know the ABV, and probably just to know if you hit your target numbers to measure effenciency.

Not only that (Edit: what Pappers said), but it's hard to not get the OG listed on the kit if it's extract and your volume is correct. It may be a point or two this way or that, but if you check FG you can certainly just use the OG listed on the kit to determine the ABV. When you get into all grain brewing it's more important.

Congrats on the first brew! That was my first as well and it was delicious. :mug:

Back