Is it alive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
34-70 a year old, maybe older. Sterilized 1.020 wort. Is it still alive? We'll see?
20200523_060444.jpg

Not surprised. A year old isn't that bad. Yeast is more resilient than many give it credit for. Good work!

Not surprised. A year old isn't that bad. Yeast is more resilient than many give it credit for. Good work!
I tend to agree, however, I've had some live yeast packs that had zero activity after their expiration date. I believe dry yeast are much hardier strains that last a very long time even after being stored post-fermentation.

Stepped up with some canned, sterilized 1.030 wort this morning. Lots of activity.
20200526_114510.jpg

I've revived year old yeast a few times. It always takes a few days to get going, but they will come back to life.

Coming to life is different to performing how it's supposed to - expect some mutation. The yeast may perform differently than you're expecting from that strain. That might be a good, bad or neutral outcome.

Back