is fizzy beer a result of over caronation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan81

Reaction score
Hi. Maybe it's a dumb question, but is homebrew that's fizzy a direct result of too much sugar at time of bottling, or are there other possible reasons?
I made an Irish Ale kit from NB. It was in primary for 6 weeks. Bottle conditioned at a perfect 70° for two weeks then in a fridge for two weeks. I used 4 ounces of corn sugar at time of bottling for a 5 gallon batch. It seems a tad fizzy.
I want to bottle a caribou slobber tomorrow. How do I avoid the fizzies with this one?

Thanks all!

I've also had the same issues and have only done extract and partial mash thus far....I have the grain for my first AG batch but I'm wondering if I'm ready for it as I feel that a few of my beers, while drinkable, have had to much carbonation...one way to much. I also think they tasted a little off with the over carbonation....I used the specified amounts of sugar too.

4 oz in a 5 gallon batch shouldn't over carbonate.

Be sure to know your final volume of beer you are carbonating and more importantly be sure the beer is absolutely at final gravity.

Sent from the Commune

Back