Is Fermentation Complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee Tee

Reaction score
I just invested in a Northern Brewer Homebrew Starter Kit I’m brewing my first batch of Block Party Amber Ale. I switched the kit yeast packet with Kveik Ale Yeast as my apartment his warm and it has been fermenting at about 80 degrees since July 31st (5 days at time of writing). The airlock showed some lively activity almost immediately but has since calmed down considerably and the airlock now shows off a few bubbles every 20 seconds or so. Is it still fermenting? I have no hydrometer to test the gravity but can see about an inch of foam at the top if that’s any help. What is the best way to tell (without a hydrometer) if fermentation has stopped? How far apart should bubbles be? Do I need to give it a gentle shake to be sure? How long after I think it’s finished can I leave the bucket just to be sure?

Obviously with the Kveik it's going to be fermented/finished sooner rather than most yeasts.

As a rule of thumb, I let my ales ferment about 10-14 days (if I'm not brewing anything too adventurous or anything with dryhopping). Sometimes I use my hydrometer to begin and end, other times I do not. Typically the foam recedes on mine when I go to bottle or keg...and I do not have much experience with that strain.

I'd highly suggest getting either a hydrometer or refractometer...especially as a new brewer. Those will help judge when fermentation is complete, at what stage it's at, etc.

Thank you AJ. I remember you were very helpful in my last post too. How long can I let the brew sit after it stops bubbling as a safety measure before it decays? I've heard some brewers say they leave it up to a month though given my room temp that might not be a good idea as my apartment is over 80 degrees!

My Kveik are always done within 7 days. Usually 5 days

kveik should be pitched in the 90’s and kept there if possible and it will finish in a few days. Some people use it at a lower temp and say it’s more lager like.

it can sit a few weeks with no issues. But with Kveik it really doesn’t need to.

My Kveik are always done within 7 days. Usually 5 days

kveik should be pitched in the 90’s and kept there if possible and it will finish in a few days. Some people use it at a lower temp and say it’s more lager like.
How long can I let the brew sit after it stops bubbling as a safety measure before it decays? I've heard some brewers say they leave it up to a month though given my room temp that might not be a good idea as my apartment is over 80 degrees!

A week or two won’t hurt it. 80 degrees isn’t anywhere near too hot for Kveik. I pitch at 95 and hold it until I bottle. I don’t leave it extra time since I want beer sooner lol. Normally 3-4 weeks starts to finish is no issue. Some people talk about yeast off flavors after that and some say it won’t. I never leave beer more than 3 weeks in primary and I never do a secondary. I’d say it will finish up in a day or 2 for sure.

A week or two won’t hurt it. 80 degrees isn’t anywhere near too hot for Kveik. I pitch at 95 and hold it until I bottle. I don’t leave it extra time since I want beer sooner lol. Normally 3-4 weeks starts to finish is no issue. Some people talk about yeast off flavors after that and some say it won’t. I never leave beer more than 3 weeks in primary and I never do a secondary. I’d say it will finish up in a day or 2 for sure.
Holy Moley - 95! Kveik is like the Navy Seals of yeast! I'll leave it for another week to be on the safe side. Maybe even 10 days as some brewers say it gives it extra depth and lets the flavors settle... Frankly I can't wait to sample my first batch!

Yeah. I really need to play with that one a bit more. Maybe ferment in the 60's in my chamber and let that one ride in the corner of the garage...haha. As long as your fermentation bucket/carboy was sanitized properly and no yuckies developed, you could leave it for a while without worrying about problems. I've gotten lazy over the course of time, but 14 days is what I target a fermentation period to be. Hasn't failed me yet (fingers crossed).

Back