Is FermCap-S Sanitary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlandsailor

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of fans of Fermcap here. I used some for the first time in a test batch of beer for a class I am teaching and it did wonders in the boil, however, in the fermenter, there was still quite a bit of blow off. I'm trying to eliminate any chance of blow off if possible. Evidently the stuff settles out pretty quickly and may not have made it into the primary.

My question is, is this stuff sanitary enough to add directly to the primary?

I find that you need to wait until the fermentation is very active and things are really moving around in the fermenter and a bit of a krausen has formed before you should add the fermcap, or it's much less effective. But if you wait too long and there's already a big thick dense krausen, then it's too late.

I've used it in a handful of beers and never had any problems with contamination, so I guess it's sanitary. Keep it in the fridge, though, just in case

Latest posts

Back