Is Crystal ##L beer coloring [mostly] linear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olie

Reaction score
Like the title says...

So, I've got this recipe that calls for X pounds of Crystal-Y malt for coloring.

I want to sub-out half the Crystal for rye -- which adds almost no color. The other characteristics (change in OG/FG/ABV) are "close enough". So my question is:

If I substitute { 0.5X pounds of Crystal-2Y, + 0.5X pounds of Rye }, will I end up with [practically] the same color beer?

I'm futzing with an IPA recipe, and I don't want to "over-yellow" it to be out-of-style.

Thanks!

I would examine it with some calculator available in web / in brewing programs. I do not have enough experience to say for sure (but I have a feeling that xx and yy ebc malts from different maltsters may not behave 100% linearly as you described). But I can tell you that 2Y even in same wort color tends to give slightly different taste than Y, because it is kilned at higher temperature/longer, different flavour compounds are produced. Light Crystal is mainly sweet but the darker Crystal can have more burnt sugar and Even some roasted type flavor.

Last edited:
If I'm understanding the question correctly, no. For example, if 30L crystal is needed and I have 20L and 10L, my 20L plus 10L doesn't equal 30L.

Can always use brewing software to "play around" with the ingredients and see how it affects the SRM.

If you were to take out half of (for example) the called for 20L crystal, then replacing the half amount with 40L crystal should restore the color balance, but will not restore the flavor balance.

Suggestion: sub out for *cararye*. It's a rye crystal malt.

Otherwise, leave the crystal alone and sub out base malt pound for pound.

With your plan, as others have said, the SRM may get close-ish (though probably not identical), but the character will be markedly different.

Back