Is Chinook interchangle for Perle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper9

Reaction score
I just noticed I have too much Chinook in my kit from AHB and no Perle (according to the recipe). Are they interchangeable? Should I go ahead and brew today or wait and do it per recipe?

Thanks!

I just noticed I have too much Chinook in my kit from AHB and no Perle (according to the recipe). Are they interchangeable? Should I go ahead and brew today or wait and do it per recipe?

Thanks!

What is the recipe and when are the hop additions? Chinook is nothing like Perle or anything else for that matter. Chinook's less than subtle blend of the flavors of used cat litter and Pinesol are loved by some but it could easily be out of place in certain beers.

I don't think so. Northern Brewer is a good substitute, and many of the German lager hops would also work well. If you just want a bittering hop and add the same number of IBU's, its probably not that critical a difference for some styles, such as porters and stouts.

It is for bittering in a stone ipa clone. I only have centennial and chinook that i have extra and can use (they are for dry hopping later)

Perle's one of the cleanest bittering hops. Chinook... well, it isn't. I'd use Centennial before Chinook, but even that has the potential to add some additional flavors. If you were planning on dryhopping with it anyway, though, I can't imagine that any of the flavors that might come through the 60 minute boil wouldn't be complementary.

thanks for the advice... I was literally typing with one hand on the iphone as i was steeping grains with the other! Lol

Back