Is Beer Smith worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on beer Smith. Worth it or do most people calculate on their own or use freeware? I have tried brewgr before. Wasn't sure if there was much of a difference.

not worth it. brewers friend is free. Also all of the formulas for process calculations are available free all over the interwebs and with a very basic knowledge of how to operate microsoft excel you can easily put together your own recipe building utilities

The app is absolutely worth it.

The desktop version is worth it for building water profiles and inventory management

It is definitely worth it. There are free apps, but I haven't seen one that has all the features that Beersmith has. Brewers Friend is probably closest. Be forewarned though. Beersmith is a tool. It requires that you set it up and learn to use it properly. The program is a little dated in it's graphics and user interface but once you work with it a while making a recipe is a snap.

I like Beersmith for designing recipes and storing them and as a guide while brewing. I have the phone app as well that I use while preparing ingredients for brewing and adding them at the right time (has a built in timer) while brewing. I have had it for about 2 years and it has taken me a while to get everything dialed in. There are a number of freebies out there and I used several of them in the past but I prefer Beersmith.

I love Beersmith but have really only used the desktop version. I should say though, that I may buy Pro Mash this next go around. Love being able to save my recipes in an exportable file that I can open up in any other version of Beersmith, or use them as a backup for when I need to reinstall OS for some reason. I like being able to print out the Brew Day steps, I have many equipment profiles saved too.

It was absolutely worth every penny I paid for it, but I have had it for 5 or 6 years I think. There was less options at that time.

It really depends upon how your brew. If you buy and brew pre-made kits, then it is probably an OK investment, but it is not going to be of greatest value. If you like designing your own recipes or modifying recipes you find on-line, then it is well worth the relatively low price.

It does take some time to 'tune' to get good results in predicting what your process will produce. The interface is OK, not real intuitive, but workable. Brad does try to keep up with some of the latest developments in brewing and apply them to the software. Sometimes they start off pretty crude in operation and take several updates to iron out the weak points (like, for instance, the water profile tool and pH predictions).

Strong points: Recipe formulation, water volume calculations, gravity predictions, all-in-one with multiple tools for gravity adjustment, refractometer and hydrometer adjustments, etc., most of the calculations are user adjustable for your system, brew log function is great for archiving finished recipes and separating them from recipe library.

Weak areas: Water profile tool is new and a bit clumsy, whirlpool hop additions don't account for temperature drops, volume adjustment for temperature is really non-existent (either hot or not), inventory control, brew timer does not allow for delay activities (end of boil vs whirlpool addition).

I've been using it for 5 years now and would not be without it. I rarely miss my targets and when I do can trace it back to something I didn't follow, maintain, or do correctly (oops, forgot to adjust the mill back after grinding oat malt).

I use the desktop app and it was worth every penny of the $20 I spent on it. It’s an invaluable tool for recipe building for me. I’d pay that just to support the Beersmith podcast, which is free.

volume adjustment for temperature is really non-existent (either hot or not)

I've tried to get him to fix this a few times with no luck. What I did was make 3 equipment profiles all exactly the same except for cooling shrinkage. That is what controls volume. 0% for room temp, 2% for mash temp and 4% for boil. I use 0% for starting strike volume. 2% for preboil and 4% at the end of my boil.

A good fix would be to ask the user to put in a certain volume of water at room temp (say 3 gallons). Have the user heat to mash temp and input the new volume. Then heat to boil and input that volume. That would give the program all the info it needs to properly calculate volumes at each temp.

If you are taking a count of yeahs and nays, definitely count me in as a yeah to suggest BeerSmith.

The on point review @Oginme gives in post # 10 would mirror my thoughts very well. I use BS for recipe development since I don't buy kits, and w/o this program, I would feel lost designing new recipes.

Most of the tools of BS are very helpful but I also use Brun Water for water management as I think BS is a bit lacking in this area. No biggie....and I'd suggest BS as a very, very good brewing software addition.

If you are comfortable working with software in general, I say it’s worth it, it was for me. I like that you can save all the recipes you want. Brewers friend is great, but you can only save 5 recipes with the free version. I like that it was a one time license fee, rather than a subscription like Brewers friend. The only thing it’s missing is water chemistry, so I also use Bru’n water.

Yes, worth it.

As a novice brewer I feel BS has allowed me to advance much further/faster than I ever would have without it. Also as mentioned above it is absolutely invaluable for building recipes.

I have beersmith app. Plus is unlimited equipment profiles. You can install it on different devices. You can add to the hops. Negatives you must set equipment profiles and hops on each device and you cannot import bsmxl? files. If you want to share recipes you have to download from beersmith cloud. But then there are so many recepies that you will always find one that you can tweak.

+1 desktop, and mobile.
I started with Beertools. Most brewers in my club use Beersmith. I bought it partly so I could speak their language. I mainly use it to build recipes and store them. I like the cloud feature. I keep on the cloud recipes of beers still available to drink, and upcoming batches. This is useful in case I forget recipe when buying ingredients.

I still use timer on phone when I brew and a trustworthy spread sheet I made to figure out water volumes.

Worth the investment.

its pretty good. i slightly prefer brewers friend personally.
i mainly use it as a guide rather than exact predictor however so im not bothered about precise water measurements throughout like the above guy, but one thing, if you're listening BS man, is the ibu calculator could be rejigged a bit.. basically if you are doing big whirlpool/steeps i think it should calculate extra bitterness from the aroma hops you put in prior to flame out. Its not like anyone is going to be removing those hops before adding more in. also having a variable temperature option for steep additions. neither should be very hard calculations (says I without knowing anything about app design whatsoever). but yea its pretty decent.
or you could just use brewers friend and take photos of your recipes to avoid the sub fee.

Yes beersmith is definitly worth buying if you want to play with recipes and especially if you are an all grain brewer.

The profiles are very handy, i have one set up for each of my common batch sizes 10L 19L 23L and scaling recipes is easy between them.

I'm running it on Linux and windows and it is very useful. I also have the mobile app on android and recent versions of that have fixed some annoying bugs.

I do wish it allowed folders for recipies in its cloud recipe folder though. Not a deal breaker but would be really handy.

I like being able to edit recipies when i have a spare moment on my phone.

The initial equipment setup seems difficult for some but its really just a few simple measurments and reading the documentation. I'm still using the first profile i created when i first got beersmith. It worked well enough that i was able to create my own all grain recipe for my first all grain batch on my just built eherms setup and hit all my numbers.

Definitely yes. I’ve used for over 5 years and find it almost indispensable. As others have stated you’ll have to fine tune your equipment profile(s) over several brews but its worth the effort.
The program offers considerable flexibility and a means to store notes and individual session data for review.
I added the mobile version to my iPad about a year ago so I don’t have to carry my laptop into the brewery and it’s really handy.
For what it’s worth, during a discussion with Mitch Steele at his New Realm Brewery last week he said that they use BS for their recipe development.

I couldn't cope without it. I use it for recipe building, scaling recipes from other people, tracking my ingredients, keeping brewday notes and tasting notes. I use the desktop one for designing and note taking and the phone app then for brewday timers, etc and so when I go to a club meeting I can quickly bring up my ingredients if people have questions. And there are a whole bunch of other tools like hop age tool, decoction tool, dilution tool, etc that I haven't even gotten round to using much yet.

For 20 its hard to say its not a good investment.

I tried BS, and found that I didn't like it. Been using the paid version of Brewers Friend for a couple years now. IMO BF is easier to use and gets the job done for me.

Isn't the paid version of Brewers Friend now at $20 per year?

BF = $20 per year, BS = $20 - $28 once depending on where you buy it.

Yep, pretty much. Both run specials from time to time. Brewers friend has a limited free version, and Beersmith desktop has a free trial. You can always try the trial version out and decide for yourself.

Now you see why software companies like the cloud based subscription pricing models.

I️ am a beginner and find I️ have made some delicious brews on a single setup for free in Brewtoad online. May invest in something like beersmith in the future, but very happy with my results thus far with around 8 all grain batches under my belt

I️ am a beginner and find I️ have made some delicious brews on a single setup for free in Brewtoad online. May invest in something like beersmith in the future, but very happy with my results thus far with around 8 all grain batches under my belt

Keep up the good work!

+1 for absolutely worth the modest price. Spend some time with it, watch the videos/tutorials at www.beersmith.com, and learn the capabilities. It is really well done, and Brad keeps updating it. Not saying any of the free ones are bad... but I've tried several over the past 15 or 20 years and I am really happy and have settled on Beersmith.

Definitely worth it! A very good program. I use it almost daily to tinker with new recipes. I use brewday to record each batch. Lots of tools in it as well. Worth it.

I like it. $20 is a small, one-time investment, and it does a lot. Would like a feature that accounts for expansion-contraction based on temp, but I can manually factor in the 3 or 4% volume change. Minor gripe for an otherwise excellent program.

I am also looking into Beer Smith. How good is it with converting extract receipes to AG. I ask because right now that is all i have is extract, and would like to brew them as AG. With the receipes, can you store them on your hard drive, or do the need to be on the cloud?

I am also looking into Beer Smith. How good is it with converting extract receipes to AG. I ask because right now that is all i have is extract, and would like to brew them as AG. With the receipes, can you store them on your hard drive, or do the need to be on the cloud?

It does an OK job of converting recipes from extract to all-grain. You need to look at the specific extracts you are using and decide what malts best represent them -- easy for light extracts, more difficult if you are using amber or dark extracts. When I made the move from my first few extract based recipes, some of them translated very well and others I had to go back and start over from scratch. I believe that those recipes ended up coming out better, mostly because I had learned so much more about recipe design by then.

BeerSmith is intended to be used on a computer with local (computer) storage of recipes. Personally, I prefer this to being in the cloud. There is a cloud storage option with a limit on how many recipes can be stored and shared on the cloud that comes with the free version and paid options for additional storage.

I used this program before Brewtoad bought it and made a few fine beers. I looked at it after, and Brewtoad had changed things. I didn't like the new as much as the old, but I think they have continued to work on it. I haven't seen it recently but it gave far less control of your recipe than Beersmith does.

Thanks guys. I've been stubbornly holding on to and using ProMasg since it came out. Downloaded Beersmith and I must say it's going to be nice using updated software going foward

Beersmith is worth the money in fact I would probably pay a 100 if they were asking for it.

Back