Is adding Baileys to my Stout before secondary fermentation a good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles_1111

Reaction score
I am thinking add Baileys ( the Irish Cream Whiskey) to my Stout 3 days before bottling, in order to increase the cream mouthfeel and sweetness as well as alcohol. Has anyone done it and is it a good idea? Anthing I should be aware of? Thanks.

I haven't done it, so only guessing. My guess is that it's a bad idea - I think the cream/oils will separate. Maybe try adding some to a glass of beer and let it sit for an hour or so to see what happens.

Agree with this. Just because it sounds like it will taste good doesn’t mean it will.

I tried making a chocolate RIS last year by adding creme de cacao in secondary before bottling. For some reason I thought it was a good idea to add a whole 750ml bottle to a 3 gallon batch. I wanted that flavor, you know? I knew it had alot of sugar. I left it for a month before bottling. After the first couple weeks it was carbonated and my wife and stepdaughter loved it. After a couple more weeks, they all became gushers. I knew what was happening and opened and dumped them all before any exploded. But those first few were really good. Lesson learned, won’t do that again.

So what kind of chocolate liquer would work in a beer? I thought dark creme de cacao. But there are a number of them out there, like Godiva, etc. Patron even makes a chocolate tequila.

Personally, I wouldn't add liqueur to beer - the sugar will all ferment so it won't leave the 'richness' that is probably being targeted. For chocolate, I'd go with nibs and choc essence, then add some bourbon to up the booze content.

Personally, I wouldn't add liqueur to beer - the sugar will all ferment so it won't leave the 'richness' that is probably being targeted. For chocolate, I'd go with nibs and choc essence, then add some bourbon to up the booze content.
How about once you get past the yeast’s tolerance? Like an 11% or 12% RIS?

How about once you get past the yeast’s tolerance? Like an 11% or 12% RIS?

It won't ferment once you get past the yeast's tolerance. But then you can't bottle carbonate either. I'd be wary of relying on yeast tolerance to stop a ferment though (especially if bottling) - they'll slow way down before actually reaching a point where they die.

If you have a kegging system, you could kill the yeast with potassium sorbate and potassium metisulphite, transfer beer to keg, add the baileys and then carbonate in your kegerator. Other than this, I do what Gnomebrewer says.

Back