Is a 5lb CO2 tank big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just pricing out a kegging setup. I will be running 2 kegs with picnic taps to start, everything in my fridge.

Is a 5lb tank enough, or will I be filling it every 2 months?

Mostly just myself drinking, 1-2 pints/day.

I go through a half keg every two weeks (about 15 pints a day) and 5lb tank lasts about 9 months. A spare is a must, nothing worse than having beer and not being able to dispense it!

I have 10lb one that is hooked up to two 5 gal kegs for the last year and half. I replace a keg every two weeks, i don't keep track by the pint just the painfull sound that I get when a keg is empty. I also have a 2 and half pound tank for when my big guy does go out.

I brew about twice a month, 10 gallon batches, all in kegs, all forced carbed. My kegerator holds 6 kegs, and gets a workout.

My 5lb CO2 bottle lasts a little over 4 months between fillings.

+1 to all of the above. 5 lbs is more than plenty. I'd also rather have two 5's than one ten so I can always have a full back up.

I'd also rather have two 5's than one ten so I can always have a full back up.

I agree with that. I'm thinking about picking up another regulator and another 5 or 10 lb tank to carb at room temp while waiting for space in the keezer.

you could also always do cask conditioning at room temp.

I could, but I prefer not to have sediment in my beer. Combine that with the fact that my friends refuse to drink my beer unless it's crystal clear, that's two major strikes against priming it at room temp.

Turns out I'm getting a 10lb canister after all. A buddy of mine who owns the local bowling alley, is getting me a new canister through Coca-Cola which he will have filled for me.

I have a 5lb and a 22oz paintball tank. I use 22oz for serving on weekend camping trips, parties from a jockey box and if I run a co2 tank dry which hasn't happened yet. I store both in the fridge with 2 Corny's

I'd recommend a 10 or 20-pound C02 tank because it will give you more gas for force carbing, bottling, removing air from growlers, etc.

Having more gas will extend the time between refills - which is a big time saver. And a lot of C02 fill providers will fill a 5-pound tank or a 20-pound for roughly the same price. It's their time and handling that you are paying for - not the amount of gas.

Latest posts

Back