Is a 15-gallon kettle "too big" for a 5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinoaddict

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing either a 15-gallon or 10-gallon kettle for extract brewing (with the idea of moving to grain brewing after I get enough experience under my belt). Is a 15 gallon kettle "too big" for doing 5 gallon batches? My gut feeling is to buy the bigger, 15-gallon kettle so I can grow into it. Any input would be appreciated.

No it's not too big. I went from a 7gal to 10gal a little over a year ago and it's great for 5 gal batches, but I wish I went with a 15gal pot. I borrowed my buddies 15gal 2 weeks ago and it was nice to brew two 5 gallon batches in the same day (size didn't matter, just needed the extra pot), but I then brewed a 10gal batch the following weekend. It's nice to have the ability.

Go with 15gal. They aren't much more than 10gal and you can brew any size batch up to about 10-12 gallons or so.

Go with bigger. I started out doing 5 gal extract brews in a 5 gal brew pot. Pain the the ass. I always wished I'd gone even bigger, and that was with simple brews. I just finished my first Keggle and I'm super excited to use it and not have to worry about space, boil-overs, and it'll support my eventual goal to do all-grain by nov/dec.

My first 5 gallon batch in my new keggle was SO much nicer than trying to do them in my previous 8 gallon pot.

Certain brand name kettles have the thermometer mounted very high
So that you have to have a min. of 6.5 gallons just to cover the thermometer

try this one

http://spikebrewing.com/collections...le-stainless-steel-with-2-horizontal-couplers

so you could brew little batches if you want.

Depending on which burner setup you use having a low mounted thermometer like that has it's own set of problems. My suggestion? Since MOST of the ones I've seen require 6G max to cover the thermometer, scale your 5G batch up a little bit. It gives you waste wort for equipment losses, hydrometer samples, dryhopping, racking (only clear beer) etc. Also, if you're boiling, there's little requirement for a thermometer other then knock out and a sanitized digital thermometer would cost very little and be more effective.

A 15 gallon pot would be great for 5 gallon runs. The total capacity of a pot needs to include room for the hot break and boil off. I use 25 gallon pots and can still do 5 gallon batches. For me to get that 5 gallons of beer, I need to boil 7-8 gallons of wort down to 6 gal. I'll loose a lil in the fermenter and a lil more in the keg; then I have made 5 gallons of beer.

I'd go with the 15 for several reasons:
1. Much less likely to deal with boil overs
2. Allows you to do 10 gallon batches (though boil overs can become more prone doing 10 gallons in a 15 gallon kettle - I wish I would have gone with a 20 gallon kettle for this reason)
3. Allows you to ease into AG brewing by doing 5 gallon BIAB method.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm getting a 20 gallon kettle, I mainly do 5 gallon batches but if I want to do a 10 gallon BIAB batch I don't want to regret not going big.

New to doing all grain batches here and I've been looking for equipment. Living on an island leaves me very limited to what I have access to unless I want to spend a bunch on shipping. I just came across this that was listed under the "canning" section of the website, but looks like it may suffice for a kettle. What do others think?

Industrial Stockpot, 64L

New to doing all grain batches here and I've been looking for equipment. Living on an island leaves me very limited to what I have access to unless I want to spend a bunch on shipping. I just came across this that was listed under the "canning" section of the website, but looks like it may suffice for a kettle. What do others think?

Industrial Stockpot, 64L

Looks great!

Thanks, I just need to get to the store and check it out in person and see how powerful the burner is. Should be a good start though.

Latest posts

Back