Is 2 white labs packs enough??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBayBrewer31

SouthBayBrewer31
Reaction score
Only one day off from work this week and I forgot the starter. My plan was to just buy two packs, but the brewer’s friend calculator says I need 3 packs. The planned OG is 1.061....really don’t want to drop $25 on yeast lol.

Which yeast and how fresh? If the yeast is old 3 might not be enough. If it is a neutral yeast maybe use dry yeast. Giga yeast has twice the cells for only slightly more.

You could also do the starter the night before early in the morning and pitch the whole thing while very active.

Only one day off from work this week and I forgot the starter. My plan was to just buy two packs, but the brewer’s friend calculator says I need 3 packs. The planned OG is 1.061....really don’t want to drop $25 on yeast lol.
I would guess you'll be fine with 2 packs, assuming all other conditions are optimal and the yeast is relatively fresh. Bit of an underpitch, but you'll still make beer!

Assuming 5gal, ale, and yeast is less than 6 weeks old, 2 packs will be OK but might be slow to start.
What beer style, and what yeast is it?

Thanks everyone....Maybe I’ll go with Safale-05 this time around. I haven’t bought the yeast but planned on 001. It’s a The Wise ESB clone.

Back