Is 1.092 high enough OG to require pitching yeast part way through?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanta

Reaction score
Hi again, I guess I've been bitten by the bug pretty badly...I was brewing another beer today (Belgian specialty ale with the OG down a bit [1.048] to ferment out quicker) and I figured I would take the time to get a gravity reading on the Imperial Stout that's been fermenting for the last week at 62 degrees.

Now, I understand that airlock activity is not an indication of fermentation, but the blowoff tube started bubbling madly on the stout about 12 hours after I pitched my starter of WLP004 and although there have been intermissions of up to 10 min, the bubbling resumes and carries steadily on for a while, so I figure fermentation is still happening. my OG on the stout was 1.092 and today's SG was 1.032. I believe my estimated FG is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 1.010.

I have read that when people make really big beers they pitch multiple times throughout the fermentation time to get all the sugars to ferment out completely. Is mine just a matter of time to let the yeast work, or should I look at getting some more yeast to help their tired buddies out?

BTW, I tasted it and it tasted awesome, the alcohol taste was a little sharper than I expected it would be, but I think that mellows out with time...I can't taste any of the hops I used, but it's not super sweet, so they're doing their job, I guess.

Use a good pitching calculator and pitch the correct amount from the get go. Check out MrMalty.com.

The better plan is to just pitch enough yeast to begin with, not more later. How much did you pitch?

After only a week, I would say just give it more time, 2 more weeks before even checking gravity again.

From a 1.092 stout I wouldn't really expect (or want?) a 1.010 FG... Unless it's all-grain, you mashed lower, and want a dry imperial stout...

I pitched a 2L starter. I know that I should be using the appropriate amount of yeast, and I believe I did. I am uncertain how this beer will turn out, and the original plan was to sit on the cake for 3 weeks, so that is still the same. It's a mini mash, and I'm not shooting for dry, although looking again at the recipe I must have misread, as I am expecting a 1.020 FG not 1.010. Incidentally, when I am using the mrmalty website, it tells me how many billions of cells I want, but how do I estimate how many I have after x time with y extract in my 2L Erlenmeyer flask?

You'll be fine with 2 liters. That yeast will go to 10% ABV easily as well, so I can't think of an advantage to pitching more yeast.

I pitched a 2L starter. I know that I should be using the appropriate amount of yeast, and I believe I did. I am uncertain how this beer will turn out, and the original plan was to sit on the cake for 3 weeks, so that is still the same. It's a mini mash, and I'm not shooting for dry, although looking again at the recipe I must have misread, as I am expecting a 1.020 FG not 1.010. Incidentally, when I am using the mrmalty website, it tells me how many billions of cells I want, but how do I estimate how many I have after x time with y extract in my 2L Erlenmeyer flask?

Yeah 1.020 sounds a lot better! If you pitched a 2L starter you should be good to go, just follow the 3 week timeline you said and see where you're at...

awesome, thanks! I guess it's once again...RDW (waiting on the HB to finish, but I've got a few store beers in the fridge) :)

Back