Irish stout feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12PACFan

Reaction score
I'm working on an Irish stout recipe aiming toward a Guiness clone. I combined a few grain bills from around the web to produce an easy and steady 5 gal batch
recipe.

Marris Otter - 6 lbs
Flaked Barley - 1.5 lbs
Black Barley - 1 lb
1 oz East Kent Goldings - 60 mins
1 oz East Kent Goldings 30 mins
Wyeast 1335
OG - 1.044

My question is two fold...I know this will take some time to mature, but I can't help but taste before I start fermentation. I noticed a overwhelming "burnt" taste. Will this fade with time and maturity and if not, should I replace some of the black barley with something a like a chocolate malt?

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks...I'm getting close to 12%, so mystery solved as to the "burnt" taste. Any chance this will mello at the batch matures?

You don’t list any roasted barley in the grist. The Black (Patent) barley is too much of the grist and most likely where the acrid burnt taste is coming from. The black patent barley is in the grist purely for color. My dry Irish stout (Guinness clone) recipe uses 67% MO, 25% flaked barely, 4% roasted barley, 2.8% dehusked carafe III, 1.5% acidulated malt. Percentages are rounded so won’t equal 100% exactly but close enough. The dehusked carafe III replaces the black patent malt. Being dehusked removes the potential for that burnt/acrid taste.

Last edited:
I agree with @youngdh
You want roasted barley and limit the black patent. Some folks, myself included, have a real issue with black patent being much too acrid, ashtray, bitter, nasty. Sorry if I beat around the bush. "Unpleasant."

I will drop a link here for the recipe I prefer, by Josh Weikert.
Maris Otter, Flaked Barley, Roast Barley, acidulated malt. Some pale chocolate malt if more roastiness wanted.

This is a simple IDS, that came with an all-grain kit I purchased several years ago. I have kept the recipe, and buy the ingredients in bulk. I start brewing this one in the early fall and rinse, repeat through St. Patrick’s. By spring, I am ready for something a little different for the summer, but still sometimes do a summer batch. For what it’s worth, here’s the recipe I use for a 5 gallon batch:

Attachments

• 020516DE-335F-4291-99CC-219E3A629107.jpeg
    020516DE-335F-4291-99CC-219E3A629107.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 0
This is a simple IDS, that came with an all-grain kit I purchased several years ago. I have kept the recipe, and buy the ingredients in bulk. I start brewing this one in the early fall and rinse, repeat through St. Patrick’s. By spring, I am ready for something a little different for the summer, but still sometimes do a summer batch. For what it’s worth, here’s the recipe I use for a 5 gallon batch:
almost Josh Weikert's identically, only half the adcidulated he uses.

It doth maketh a fine, everyone-loves-it, dry Irish Stout, indeed.

Yes; your post came up while I was typing mine in! After reading his explanation, I intend to add the extra two ounces of Acidulated that he recommends. I am also considering trying a different yeast eventually; I currently have harvested S-04 in the fridge.

The rough grain bill I use for a regular dry Irish Stout is:

70% 2-Row
20% Flaked Barley
10% Roasted Barley

You can blend some chocolate malt into the roast, but keep the dark malt total at 10%. Many of the other suggestions here are not far off from this ballpark.

The amount a acidulated malt (or a lactic acid addition) should be dictated by your water profile. And maybe a bit extra if you are looking to simulate the Guiness "tang".

Yes; your post came up while I was typing mine in! After reading his explanation, I intend to add the extra two ounces of Acidulated that he recommends. I am also considering trying a different yeast eventually; I currently have harvested S-04 in the fridge.
WLP004 works well for this style. I also add in the acidulated malt in my recipe. I'll echo what others said and say that's a lot of black patent for the recipe.

Kicked my keg of Irish Stout but I have a growler in the fridge for tonight's celebrating!

I love my Irish stouts for winter drinking. I always age it for several months. Gets better with age. Keeps longer than other home brews.

I love my Irish stouts for winter drinking. I always age it for several months. Gets better with age. Keeps longer than other home brews.
Dry Irish stouts (Guinness clones) are low ABV beers (4%) and don’t need to age like big ABV stouts before they’re at their prime. While they’re still good even after a year, assuming you did a zero O2 transfer, you don’t have to wait months to enjoy them :).

Back