Irish Redfish Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shwagger

Reaction score
Trying something different, an Irish Red lager. Here is what i have so far, haven't looked at water chem yet, but I'll use Bru'N Full Amber likely with little sulfates as possible. using RO water as a base. Thoughts, tips, advice appreciated. TYIA

Recipe: Irish Redfish TYPE: All Grain
Style: Irish Red Ale

<
Amt Name Type #
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1
2 lbs Caraamber (30.0 SRM) Grain 2
1 lbs Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3
1 lbs Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 19.14 qt of water at 165.6 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.92 qt of water at 208.8 F 168.0 F 10 min

Fly sparge with 4.21 gal water at 168.0 F

1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - 15 min

Primary Start: 04 Jun 2017 - 21.00 Days at 48.0 F
Secondary Start: 25 Jun 2017 - 3.00 Days at 62.0 F
Lager at 34 F for 4 weeks
Keg Age 4 weeks at 34

Well. I've previously made an attempt at a beer somewhat similar... But not on the maltier red ale style.

I was attempting to make something like an export lager but using english malt and hops.

Mine was 80% Maris Otter, 16% biscuit, and 4% crystal 60L. Then a combination of Willamette (My LHBS had no Fuggles) and EKG for flavor/aroma.

My test had a lot of problems though that you won't run into. This was my first attempt at a BIAB on my stove and I had absolutely horrendous efficiency and due to odd temperature circulation/stepping away for a few minutes it got up to 170 degrees halfway through the mash.
It ended up being around 2.5% abv... But then I assumed that the fridge I was lagering in would be good because it's never frozen things before... But when I pulled my little keg out it was frozen solid. I let it thaw out and tapped it to see how it would turn out...

And it was actually really good. The first 6 or so glasses seemed to be a full strength lager, while the later ones were noticeably decreasing in ABV... The beer froze into striations.

That was a fun experience but not really important for your question. On the beer... It was very promising, although I'm not sure if I really care for the flavor of EKG. I think they came across as a bit harsh tasting. The kind of herbal flavor was the hardest part of the beer to get through... I personally prefer the earthiness of Fuggles, but it may be better because you will have a bigger malt body to compete with the hops.

On your recipe, my main thought is that the specialty grains seem a bit high for it to be as pleasant... I've seen Red Ale recipes with 60% pale malt and Munich Malt for the rest... But I think that Caraamber, Melanoidin, and Biscuit will contribute a lot more unfermentable sugars.

I'd think cutting down the amount of Caraamber and melanoidin may be good.
Possibly:
9.5 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Caramel/crystal 40L
1 lb Biscuit
8 oz Melanoiden
8 oz Carapils
5-6 oz Roasted barley

I think that should keep in the same SRM range.

Thanks for the input. I think Ill bump up the otter and use a 40 or 60 L in place of the amber.

Back