Irish Red Lager Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains - Water Profile Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowRaven

Reaction score
Wondering how much water profile affects brewing with extract? (since the mash step is done for you)

What water profile is best for a Amber Lager?

I have RODI water (stripped zero TDS) available and can build what ever profile I need
(waiting for Ward report on water to come back off my well - So holding off on using well water)

Using
Northern Brewer
Irish Red Ale Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains
WYeast California Lager (5L yeast starter)

SPECIALTY GRAIN
--0.5 lbs Belgian Caramel Pils
--0.25 lbs Briess Special Roast
--0.125 lbs Belgian Biscuit
--0.125 lbs English Chocolate Malt
FERMENTABLES
--6 lbs Gold Malt syrup
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
--1 oz Willamette (60 min)
--1 oz US Goldings (30 min)

Take this more as speculation than a strong recommendation...

I would treat that DI water very lightly with a bit of calcium chloride, say 1/4 tsp. and perhaps the same amount of gypsum in 5 gallons. My rationale is really one of insurance for better hop utilization and break formation, and yeast health. We really don't know the mineral levels that are set in the extract, so light supplementing makes sense to me.

Happy to be schooled on this.

Take this more as speculation than a strong recommendation...

I would treat that DI water very lightly with a bit of calcium chloride, say 1/4 tsp. and perhaps the same amount of gypsum in 5 gallons. My rationale is really one of insurance for better hop utilization and break formation, and yeast health. We really don't know the mineral levels that are set in the extract, so light supplementing makes sense to me.

Happy to be schooled on this.

No that sounds close to what a NB employee said what customers are doing

Epson Salt for MG and Baking Soda for RA (Alk) and Gypsum were normal to RODI per that discussions, just not amounts

I don't trust my tap water, so I've been using bottled spring water to steep the grains, then add all distilled or a 50/50 mix of distilled and spring water for the rest. My thought is that its probably good to have some minerals in water for steeping, but I don't want to add much to what is already in the lme/DME. May want to do something similar & tweak your just the RODI water used for the steep..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Originally Posted by 241
All I ever add to light/hoppy beers are what you stated. I use RO

2-3% aciduated malt
1 tsp/5 gal Cacl2
1 tsp gypsum

Seems to put you right at or around 5.2-5.3

What is 2-3% aciduated malt ?
In 5 Gallons what does that work out to be?

I have RODI and I am doing an extract brew right now

The above without the malt was also suggested by

It looks like a post got deleted from 241... you do not need the aciduated or sauermaltz - that would be an all grain scenario, and not appropriate in your instance.

You are steeping and not mashing - so the aciduated and pH profile is (IMO) less important. If you wanted to actually mash those specialty - you would need a handful of 2-row or 6-row to actually convert any starches - but it is unnecessary as the conversion is largely done in the kiln. Something to consider next round - however - is a partial mash approach. So you take your specialty grains and "mash" with a small amount of base malt at say, 152F, for an hour in a kettle or small cooler. Then you would want to worry about mash pH a bit - which is manageable... then "dunk" the mash out in the hot water a few times and drain - and boil the results with the extract and hops. That changed my world several years ago - the beers took on a much deeper character. You would then need to calculate the increased extraction against the LME/DME and either top up or accept the extra potential extract. Will it make better beer? That is a matter of opinion, and it may not be worth the effort for you at this stage, but maybe your next step. FYI - this is the beer that convinced me to partial mash!

I think Martin "might" suggest some Epsom for the flavor - but I wouldn't bother - otherwise I would go well below 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons. All of the trace minerals necessary for healthy fermentation SHOULD be provided in the LME or DME. Absolutely skip the baking soda addition for any extract brewing, unless the partial mash required it. A hot steep should not.

I think Martin "might" suggest some Epsom for the flavor - but I wouldn't bother - otherwise I would go well below 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons. All of the trace minerals necessary for healthy fermentation SHOULD be provided in the LME or DME. Absolutely skip the baking soda addition for any extract brewing, unless the partial mash required it. A hot steep should not.

Thanks very helpful :mug:

This Irish Ale extract kit I got with the Fermenter Deal at NB in Milwaukee.
Upgrading to Lager since I am in WI in January.

I am working on a MaiBock 3-grain next week (2 Cylindrical Cooler Method) . So I am practicing with this extract kit and my 5L Stir Plate.

(Selling off the Mr Beer Extracts I got as a gift) As my focus will be all-grain.

With Extract If I want 5 Gallons after 60 minute boil, how aprox many gallons should I start with?

With Extract If I want 5 Gallons after 60 minute boil, how aprox many gallons should I start with?

Boiloff should be the same between extract and all-grain.

I would say if you have a nice propane burner, maybe 1-1.5 gallons. If it's on your gas stove and not as vigorous, more like .5-1 gallons.

I would shoot for 6 gallons pre-boil and see what you end up with.

Boiloff should be the same between extract and all-grain.

I would say if you have a nice propane burner, maybe 1-1.5 gallons. If it's on your gas stove and not as vigorous, more like .5-1 gallons.

I would shoot for 6 gallons pre-boil and see what you end up with.

Gas Stove with High Capacity Burners, 8 Gallon 1.2 Megapot

Looks like ~6 or less is a good place to start. I can top with boiled RO water to get to 5 if I come up a little light.

Back