Irish Red Ale: Just off the Primary. Will FG go lower in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoefromPhilly

Reaction score
Hi,

I did an Irish Red Ale extract with steeping grains from NB. Did a full boil and aerated with a sterilized 8 inch air stone. I had it in a bucket with a thermowell about an inch and a half from the edge of the bucket. I used a dual-stage temp controller to control the fridge and a heater inside the fridge.

Initial gravity was 1.045. Final (from the primary) was 1.015. The smell was awesome! I moved it to a carboy secondary where I will keep it for another week.

Question: Will the Final Gravity still go down, and hence the ABV go up? Looks like am around 4% now. Can't wait to carb and drink this ale.

Thanks.

Sometimes it might. Moving the beer away from the yeast usually stops the fermentation. Secondary fermenter is a misnomer. The secondary is used for additions or extra clearing of certain types of beers. Should be called a secondary vessel or brite tank.

Sometimes a miniferment kicks off after racking--especially if lots of yeast cake gets siphoned over on accident. It is unlikely though, and if it does don't expect it to drop more than a point or two. You are within range for the style. A smooth, low alcohol red ale makes a really nice session beer.

Latest posts

Back