Irish Moss Soup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcadeBrewery

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to HBT but I've been brewing for a while.
Anyway, on 2 days ago I decided to up my clarity game and use Irish moss.
With 5 mins left in the boil, I added 3 grams to 28litres of wort.
I then chilled the wort down to 28deg C.
I am not sure what Irish Moss is supposed to make your wort look like, but it resembled a thick snotty soup (which was a bit off putting...).
So I racked the wort into the fermenter trying to leave behind as much snotty gel as possible (which was pretty impossible as I sucked up all kinds of encapsulated trub).

Now its sitting in my primary fermenter and it looks super blotchy and gel like...

Is this normal?

When I transfer to secondary is it still going to be there?

Did I make a new "Go-gurt" IPA?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You used a bit more than is necessary for 5 gallons (1-2g is more than sufficient), so you may get a bit more of the jello-like protein clumps than usual, but it will settle out during fermentation and conditioning.

I have some beers that look like egg drop soup. Others, the flakes are smaller. But, what you're describing is mostly normal.

I use whirlfloc, though. Same end goal.

Thanks!
After a few days now the "clumps" seem to be settling at the bottom or on the sides of the fermenter.
I'll try to leave as much behind as possible when I transfer to secondary (for dry hopping and because I want to get it off any encapsulated trub).
After secondary do you think a cold crash will settle the remaining goop to the bottom?

Cold crash, and add some finings. You'll have a nice layer of stuff at the bottom, and clear beer above.

3grams of Irish moss is just over a teaspoon going into 6.5 gallon batch so I guess I didn't overdo it to one much. What looked like a marbled gel in my fermenter has now settled to the bottom (albeit with the help of some flicking the sides) into a nice trub cake which should be easy to leave behind during transfer to secondary. Thanks for the piece of mind. Can't wait to taste this beer and see if the Irish moss I see really worth it.

Sorry for the blurry photo. (Protein collection is significant at the bottom.

IMG_2762.jpg

Back