IPL Discussion thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did some searching around and didn't see much discussion about IPLs, so I thought I'd open up a discussion. From what I can find, the idea of an IPL (India Pale Lager) is a fairly new concept. It's not even considered an official beer type, as far as I know.

I've been thinking about trying to lager a Zombie Dust clone to see how it would interact with all those citra hops.

I've seen them around for a few years now, but they seem to be gaining popularity. I haven't done any, but I personally wouldn't lager it for an extended time. I'd try to make the fastest turn around lager possible. I say this because all of the commercial IPL's I've had were very underwhelming in hop flavor and aroma.

I ran into a ton of these when I was up in Canada for a ski trip this winter. As a fan of IPA's (especially "west coast" styles) I haven't found any of the IPL's I've tasted, both north and state-side, to be that impressive yet. Feels like breweries reaching trying to find the next big craze.

I really like the idea of an India pale lager but it would have to use noble hops to make it worth while in my opinion. Something along the line of Victory Prima Pils but more. I did a super hoppy German Pilsner with something silly like 10oz of Saaz at 10 mins or less for 6 gallons and I really enjoyed it.

I'm in the middle of lagering a 5 gal SMaSH IPL with two row and hop burst, hop backed and dry hopped Apollo for a club competition. Also thinking about running another charge through the hop rocket a couple days before I bottle for the comp. The aroma and flavor when transferring to the keg from primary was incredible.
Definitely going to be doing a non-a SMaSH batch this summer.

http://byo.com/hops/item/2875-india-pale-lager-roundtable

I've tired a few. I don't really care for them personally. I think the IPA-style hops clash with the flavor of a lager. I agree with the comment about using noble hops.

I go back and forth on these, I haven't had enough to really play the field though. There's some definit tug and pull with the concept. To an extent, there's an argument that a lager fermentation is good for an IP-whatever, because it lets the yeast character step into the background, by extension letting the hops step forward more. However, we all know IPAs are best fresh, and hop character degrades over time.

I completely agree that as fast of a turn-around lager as possible is best. In fact, maybe favor the lager yeast fermentation, i.e. temp controlled and cool fermentation, and care less so about the actual lager aging. Maybe just a couple weeks of lagering is enough, or maybe you don't lager at all. If you do lager, I think a major dose of dry hops at the end of lagering, not earlier, would be key. Taking advantage of the lagering time, I could see multiple doses of dry hoping being great. I'm playing with dry hopping my IPAs in more than one dose, but I do dislike, to an extent, that it pushes out my grain to class. Since you're already lagering an IPL, why not dose it three times with separate hop charges.

Lastly, I can totally get on board for a noble hopped IPL. I'm considering a "bohemian" IPA, a west coast style IPA but pounded with German hops. However, I think typical west coast hopping can play very well in an IPL if done right.

I like the dulled hop character. The issue is that people compare them to IPAs and say the hop profile is weak, but I think that's unfair. It's like comparing a porter and a Pale Ale (hyperbole to illustrate my point). They're different styles, of course it's going to be different. The lager flavor with a mellowed out heavy hop profile is extremely refreshing, if you ask me.

I like the dulled hop character. The issue is that people compare them to IPAs and say the hop profile is weak, but I think that's unfair. It's like comparing a porter and a Pale Ale (hyperbole to illustrate my point). They're different styles, of course it's going to be different. The lager flavor with a mellowed out heavy hop profile is extremely refreshing, if you ask me.

Agreed...but like I stated earlier, Jack Abbey puts out lagers that are far more hoppy than some IPAs. You can reproduce an aggressive hop aroma its just much harder than doing an IPA

Ballast Point Fathom was the first and best I've had so far. I haven't made one yet, but have plans to in the next few weeks. A friend and I are collaborating on a Helles and plan on splitting up a 10gal batch into four 3gallon fermentors. One will be getting a healthy dry hopping dose of New Zealand hops. Looking forward to giving this style a shot.

Agreed...but like I stated earlier, Jack Abbey puts out lagers that are far more hoppy than some IPAs. You can reproduce an aggressive hop aroma its just much harder than doing an IPA

Cali is dead on with Jack's Abbey. They're awesome and definitely leading the pack in this category. Kiwi Rising, Mass Rising, Hoponius Union...all fantastic.

Not to get off topic, but they have a ton of other great brews, and all of their beers are strictly lagers. Their Framinghammer, which I think is a Baltic Porter, is freaking great.

They should not be calling it an IPL if they don't want it compared to an IPA. I completely disagree with what you wrote.

Back