IPA with Citra, Cascade, Centennial, Summit, Azacca, Mandarina Bavaria. Any advice on hop timings and amounts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saffersa

Reaction score
Greetings everyone

Was going thru the freezer looking at what hops I had on hand, and it occurs to me that I probably have the ingredients for a fairly decent IPA.

Problem is I've never done an IPA, so I'm flying blind.

Would be nice to have something with a bit more tangerine and citrus and just a hint of grapefruit. Not too much. I like the grapefruit, but a lot of the craft breweries around me have gone heavy with the grapefruit and I'm suffering a bit of burnout.

Any advice on the timings and amounts for the hops would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be using 6Kg of various malts:
Vienna 1Kg
Carabelge 500 grams
Pale ale 3.9 Kg
Pale wheat 600 grams

Aiming to get 25L of wort into the fermenter, and will be using US -05 dry yeast.

Hops list below:
Citra 13.8%, 90 grams available
USA Cascade 5.8%, 66 grams available
Centennial 9.4%, 83 grams available
Azacca 10.7%, 100 grams available
Mandarina Bavaria 6.9%, 50 grams available

Any advice would be appreciated.
Apologies if theres something fairly obvious that I should have mentioned- been a long day.

Keep well.

You do, indeed, have the makings of a very good citrus forward IPA. The grist is fine. The Mandarina will get stomped on by the Citra, but those two in the dry hop would be good. Maybe put 20 grams of Citra in the WP. I would bitter with the Centennial, to whatever IBU's you want out of the 60 minute addition. Then half of the Cascade at 10 minutes, and the rest of the Cascade and Centennial in the WP with the Citra.

I'd save the Azacca for a different batch :) . And I WP @ 180 for 20 minutes...YMMV.

Hi RCope

Thanks for the reply and advice.

To make sure I follow:
28 gr Centennial @ 60 min
33 gr Cascade @ 10
This puts it at at about 34ibu
Then at WP for 20min at about 80°C with :
33 gr Cascade
30 gr Centennial
20 gr Citra
Then dry hop with:
30 gr Mandarina Bavaria
10 gr Citra

Is this right?

Thanks again.

You said you had 90gr of Citra and 50gr of Mandarina...So I would put all the Mandarina and 70gr of the Citra in the dry hop. And I'd use all of the Centennial...you have 83gr available but only 58gr above. If you're happy with your IBU's I'd put the other 25 grams in the WP (or even in the dry hop). I personally would like more bitterness in a WCIPA, the WP at 80 degrees will add some IBU's. If that's enough for you then all's good.

You have a strong malt backbone with the Vienna and Carabeige, about 60-70 IBU's total would be about right for my palate. Of course, what's calculated and what's actual are often far apart. I like to bitter with Magnum or Warrior...but my Bell's Light Hearted IPA clone I'm brewing tomorrow uses Centennial for bittering (and everything else hot side). Cheers! Rick

You said you had 90gr of Citra and 50gr of Mandarina...So I would put all the Mandarina and 70gr of the Citra in the dry hop. And I'd use all of the Centennial...you have 83gr available but only 58gr above. If you're happy with your IBU's I'd put the other 25 grams in the WP (or even in the dry hop). I personally would like more bitterness in a WCIPA, the WP at 80 degrees will add some IBU's. If that's enough for you then all's good.

You have a strong malt backbone with the Vienna and Carabeige, about 60-70 IBU's total would be about right for my palate. Of course, what's calculated and what's actual are often far apart. I like to bitter with Magnum or Warrior...but my Bell's Light Hearted IPA clone I'm brewing tomorrow uses Centennial for bittering (and everything else hot side). Cheers! Rick
Hey hey
I trust you are well.
Just an update, if you're interested:
Still a few days to go before its ages enough, but it's looking and tasting great already. Decided to call it Corny Flakes- I brewed it on the anniversary of Kellogg's bringing out Corn Flakes for the first time.
20201007_210829.jpg

Attachments

• 20201007_210829.jpg
    20201007_210829.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
  • 20201007_210550.jpg
    20201007_210550.jpg
    968.1 KB · Views: 24
That is a beautiful 3D head. Love it when the grist is designed well so that happens. My current Aussie Pale, that tastes more like an American pale has the 3D head. What did you end up going with, and what would you change if you weren't doing a left overs IPA?

Are there, um, like, any cornflakes in the recipe? Some people brew with cornflakes, sounds interesting to me. Beautiful pour by the way, I'd drink that.
Hi Jayjay
Sorry for the delay in replying- life sort of ran away from me a bit for a while.
No actual cornflakes were harmed in the making of this ale. Just my little personal system for naming my beer-babies: what happened on this day in history, twist it a little and voila I have something to call the next 60+ bottles other than beer.

That's looking great...if it tastes even half as good as it looks, you have a winner! Cheers, Rick
Hi Rick
Sorry for the late reply. Life = crazy.
Tbh I expected more oomph in the hops/flavour, but I have no qualms about making another batch. Mates love it. I suspect it wasn't the hops that didnt deliver, but rather my still-steep learning curve to go.
Keep well

That is a beautiful 3D head. Love it when the grist is designed well so that happens. My current Aussie Pale, that tastes more like an American pale has the 3D head. What did you end up going with, and what would you change if you weren't doing a left overs IPA?
Hi Morgz
Apologies for the late reply. Life = crazy.
I think I went with, hops-wise, :
28 gr Centennial @ 60 min
33 gr Cascade @ 10
This puts it at at about 34ibu
Then at WP for 20min at about 80°C with :
33 gr Cascade
30 gr Centennial
20 gr Citra
Then dry hop with:
30 gr Mandarina Bavaria
10 gr Citra

I think, but to be sure I'd have to check my brew diary. Well worth giving it a go if you're keen .
Keep well

Back