IPA - Will this hop schedule work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knightshade

<Insert Snarky Comment Here>
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So the original version of this had Galaxy...which I'm now out of. Looked in the freezer and potential replacements were..Vic Secret, El Dorado and Rakua. Figured Vic Secret might be the closest as far as a "replacement" and this is what I came up with. I liked the Galaxy version..or rather like as I still have some left. Character is fading, hence my thinking that maybe more dry hopping might be necessary? My first dive into trying to formulate stuff so...will it work? Thanks in advance.

This is original, 78.99 IBU

1 oz AmarilloPellet8.6 Boil 30 min19.9114.3%
1 oz AzaccaPellet11.5 Boil 20 min20.9814.3%
1 oz GalaxyPellet13.7 Boil 15 min20.4814.3%
1 oz AmarilloPellet8.6 Boil 10 min9.3914.3%
1 oz GalaxyPellet13.7 Boil 5 min8.2314.3%
1 oz AzaccaPellet11.5 Dry Hop 4 days14.3%
1 oz GalaxyPellet13.7 Dry Hop 4 days14.3%

This is proposed, 68.92 IBU
1 oz AmarilloPellet8.6 Boil 30 min20.0413.3%
1 oz AzaccaPellet11.5 Boil 20 min21.1213.3%
0.50 oz Vic SecretPellet15.5 Boil 10 min8.526.7%
1 oz AmarilloPellet8.6 Boil 10 min9.4613.3%
1 oz Vic SecretPellet15.5 Whirlpool at 170 °F 20 min5.6113.3%
1 oz AzaccaPellet11.5 Whirlpool at 170 °F 20 min4.1613.3%
1 oz AmarilloPellet8.6 Dry Hop 4 days13.3%
1 oz AzaccaPellet11.5 Dry Hop 4 days13.3%

Grain Bill is:
13 lb 2 Row
2 lb Munich Light
1 lb Vienna

It will certainly work but I personally would pick up the chunk of my ibus from a 60 min addition and do a small 10 addition and then save the rest for whirlpool and dryhoping. This way you’ll get your ibus from the 60, Some complexity from the 10, and bright hop notes from the whirlpool and dryhop.

but as always, many ways to skin this cat

My last NEIPA I skipped the 60 min .5 oz (or so) of Magnum/Warrior and added 1 oz of Simcoe at 30 min. The thought was to maximize hop flavor after this exchange with @couchsending :
I’m one who has actually gone to ditching a 90 or 60 minute addition in favor of adding a larger charge at 30 to get IBUs but not have vegetal material boiling for 90 or 60 and more more “survivable” compounds make it into the final beer. The Thiol 3MH is shown to actually increase in the boil. It increases substantially up to 30 minutes of boiling and continues to increase slightly up to 60 minutes but the difference between 30 and 60 is minimal. Thiols have crazy low aroma thresholds and have a huge impact in the aroma of finishes beer.. much more so than a lot of the oils and monoterpene alcohols that people have so often been focused on. A hop with low oil content but high thiol content can have a much larger impact than a hop with 3x the oil content but low thiols.

I do a 30 minute addition, a 10 or 15 minute addition, and then a 180 WP or Hopback addition. Then hit it with dry hops... lots of them.
I wouldn’t use Magnum or Warrior necessarily at 30. I try to use a specific hop that is smooth bittering but also will have a more lasting impact when used at that time. I’ve just gone away from adding hops at 60 and 90 in general unless it’s for a more traditional Pils with lower alpha hops.

I would use extract, and used to, but it’s really inefficient on the Homebrew scale as the surface to volume ratio is pretty bad so it tends to just stick to the sides of the kettle.

Personally I just try to make the best hoppy beer I can. They might be hazy but they don’t use wheat or oats generally, they’re soft, but with bitterness and are light on the palate. It’s just hoppy beer, not “NEIPA” or “WCIPA” or whatever.
I really respect his experience and opinions; I had asked him if he does that for a WCIPA.

And my FG sample was amazing even pre-carb. Also had Strata, Bru-1, Zappa, and a bit of Citra (with the Simcoe hot side) Not tapped yet...

And to the OP...I'd triple the dry hop :cool:

My last NEIPA I skipped the 60 min .5 oz (or so) of Magnum/Warrior and added 1 oz of Simcoe at 30 min. The thought was to maximize hop flavor after this exchange with @couchsending :

I really respect his experience and opinions; I had asked him if he does that for a WCIPA.

And my FG sample was amazing even pre-carb. Also had Strata, Bru-1, Zappa, and a bit of Citra (with the Simcoe hot side) Not tapped yet...

And to the OP...I'd triple the dry hop :cool:
Based on the information given, it does not seem though he is targeting a NEIPA. Seems as he’s adding specially malts, so I’m guess he’s looking for the malt to come through

I'm actually drinking a glass of the Galaxy version right now..and to be honest. This was some recipe that I found...and I honestly wish I could remember where. Imported it into Brewer's Friend and it turned out pretty darn okay. Not great..but not bad...and honestly at this point in my home brewing experience, I'll take average...but I'll always hope for better than!

I've vacuum sealed the stuff that I opened for the first batch, liked it (the 1st batch) enough that I don't mind giving it another whirl...but want to use up what I've got and not go out a purchase another ground of Galaxy to accomplish this. I guess what I'm really concerned about...is this beer being horrible because I didn't put 'enough' hops into it. I know it "will beer" but I'd prefer for it to..ya know. Not Suck.

Even small amounts of Galaxy in the dry hop make a big impression. The Bell's Light Hearted Ale Clone I brewed had 6 oz of Centennial total and only 1 oz of Galaxy in the dry hop (and 2 oz of Centennial). The beer was excellent! So your new recipe will be significantly different but still good. it will definitely not suck.

But in my experience, 2 oz of dry hop is not enough to satisfy my taste buds. But Azacca and Amarillo are great in combination. If you can, more is better in the dry hop (to a point) unless the OG is very low. For me and my system, that point is around 1 to 1.2 oz per gallon. YMMV :)

The proposed recipe looks similar to one I've brewed. My preference is 4-6 oz hops in WP and 3-4oz in DH. I agree with other suggestions to make the first addition earlier and smaller, maybe .3-.4oz at 60min. Lately I prefer these super hoppy beers less bitter, so I target ~50-60 IBUs.

So..based on recommendations, I think I'll be trying this? Also going to remove the Vienna malt and replace it with white wheat malt.

0.50 oz AmarilloPellet8.6 Boil 60 min13.025%
0.50 oz AzaccaPellet11.5 Boil 60 min17.415%
0.50 oz Vic SecretPellet15.5 Boil 10 min8.515%
0.50 oz AmarilloPellet8.6 Boil 10 min4.725%
2 oz Vic SecretPellet15.5 Whirlpool at 170 °F 30 min1220%
2 oz AzaccaPellet11.5 Whirlpool at 170 °F 30 min8.920%
2 oz AmarilloPellet8.6 Dry Hop 4 days20%
2 oz AzaccaPellet11.5 Dry Hop 4 days20%

The water profile I'm looking at has a 1:5 Cl to SO4 ratio. Does that seem excessive?

So..based on recommendations, I think I'll be trying this? Also going to remove the Vienna malt and replace it with white wheat malt.

0.50 ozAmarilloPellet8.6Boil60 min13.025%
0.50 ozAzaccaPellet11.5Boil60 min17.415%
0.50 ozVic SecretPellet15.5Boil10 min8.515%
0.50 ozAmarilloPellet8.6Boil10 min4.725%
2 ozVic SecretPellet15.5Whirlpool at 170 °F30 min1220%
2 ozAzaccaPellet11.5Whirlpool at 170 °F30 min8.920%
2 ozAmarilloPellet8.6Dry Hop4 days20%
2 ozAzaccaPellet11.5Dry Hop4 days20%

The water profile I'm looking at has a 1:5 Cl to SO4 ratio. Does that seem excessive?
Hop schedule looks good. Your water profile will lean beer towards the west coast ipa side of this with a more pronounce bitterness and will have more perceived crispness. If this is what your aiming for, then that will work, say cl 50ppm so4 250ppm. If you want it more NEIPA like 1.5-2:1 would be appropriate say cl 150-175ppm so4 75-100 ppm. Both profiles will produce good beer, so it’s really just your preference.

This is what I'm referencing at the moment. Can be seen here: Water Adjustment

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 11.02.48 AM.png

This is what I'm referencing at the moment. Can be seen here: Water Adjustment

View attachment 709550

This is also something that you will get a feel for the more you use it. I don't worry about the ratio so much as absolute amounts of the Cl and SO4.
I've found that I don't really prefer it when either are much over 175, and I never have both up that high at once.
You'll find what you like as you brew them.

If you haven't yet, take some glasses of beer and spike very small amounts of CaCl2 and/or gypsum into them (making a solution and using a dropper helps).
This will give you a general idea of what they do for a beer, alone and together.

That adjustment link shows chalk as an option for pH adjustment - I wouldn't recommend it because it is difficult to dissolve and therefore difficult to predict the effect. Better to use a little baking soda if you need a pH adjustment up.

Also, Calcium Chloride pulls water out of the air like mad, reducing the Cl (and Ca) it provides by weight and making your measurement inaccurate. Make a stock solution in water and determine the concentration by density - there's a formula for it in the brew science section (and the calculation is also available in the free Mash Made Easy spreadsheet) . Then add it by volume.

This is also something that you will get a feel for the more you use it. I don't worry about the ratio so much as absolute amounts of the Cl and SO4.
I've found that I don't really prefer it when either are much over 175, and I never have both up that high at once.
You'll find what you like as you brew them.

If you haven't yet, take some glasses of beer and spike very small amounts of CaCl2 and/or gypsum into them (making a solution and using a dropper helps).
This will give you a general idea of what they do for a beer, alone and together.

That adjustment link shows chalk as an option for pH adjustment - I wouldn't recommend it because it is difficult to dissolve and therefore difficult to predict the effect. Better to use a little baking soda if you need a pH adjustment up.

Also, Calcium Chloride pulls water out of the air like mad, reducing the Cl (and Ca) it provides by weight and making your measurement inaccurate. Make a stock solution in water and determine the concentration by density - there's a formula for it in the brew science section (and the calculation is also available in the free Mash Made Easy spreadsheet) . Then add it by volume.
Totally not on topic, but you profile picture just brought back so much nostalgia...
First draw an S and then draw a different s. Nice beefy arm stickin out the back of his neck! Troooogdooor, The Burnanator!

So I brewed this today...although I can’t get past the feeling that I stuck Amarillo vs Vic Secret in the Whirlpool.

Measured and set aside last night and was consumed with not mixing 60,10,whirlpool, and dry hop...

Where is that damn slam head against the wall gif?????

Although...I’ve made WAAAAAAAY worse mistakes during a brew day.

Turned out...not bad. Not sure I'm going to spend any more time trying to tweak this recipe in general, as I'm sure there are better recipes out there to just follow and I'm not confident enough to really tinker yet. Think I'm still under 10 brews, so plenty of discovering left to do.

IMG_4258.JPG

Back