IPA Too Sweet. Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj90

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've made a few SMASH IPA's to get a feeling for grain and hop flavours. They've all come out a bit sweet for my taste and the last IPA I made (not a SMASH) I mashed a bit lower, but it still came out sweet. The hop flavour is pretty close, so I am happy there, but if anyone has advice on the grain bill I'm all ears!

This was brewed with a smaller brew pot, I should be able to do all grain now, or close to it. It is a 8 gallon pot.

Thanks

View attachment Fat Tug PM.pdf

That's a fair amount of crystal. Not an overwhelming amount, but the 30 would impart a fair amount of malty sweetness. You could try subbing dark Munich for the cara-30 if you wanted it drier.

You can substitute in corn sugar (dextrose) to get your last couple specific gravity points. Since corn sugar is going to ferment out, it'll leave you with a lower FG and a drier beer.

You used 500 gr of Crystal malt in a 5.5 Kg grain bill, which of course will impart sweetness. If you do not like sweet beers, you need only to make your grainbill just like a smash: simple. Just use 2-row next time without any crystal.

Okay great, I didn't think I was adding that much sweetness from the Crystal. I'll back that down on the next batch and see how it turns out.

Thanks!

Back