IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I'm going for "Citrusy" on this one so let me know what you think:

5.5 gal.
12 lbs. Pale Ale
0.5 lb. Victory
0.5 lb. Crystal 60
0.25 lb. Crystal 35
0.5 lb. Carapils

1 oz Coumbus 60 min ~ 45 IBU
0.5 oz each Amarillo, Cascade & Centennial 15 min ~ 15 IBU
0.5 oz each A, C & C 5 min ~ 5 IBU
0.5 oz each A, C & C 0 min
1 oz each A, C & C Dry Hop

OG: 1.070
SRM: 9
IBU: 65

I'm also going for big hop aroma.
13.75 lbs of grain and 8.5 oz of hops!

Sounds fantastic: I agree that 3 oz dry hops seems like a huge amount, although I'm not sure what the result will be like, other than a huge hop aroma, obviously. I might be concerned about a grassy and/or vegital taste component.

I would say grassy too, especially with the American hops... although if it has worked in the past, why not. Something you could try to add aroma is boiling the hops for a minute or two then adding the 'hop tea' at bottling time. Apparently, this gives a massive hop aroma.

Too much dry hopping IMO. I think you will be wasting hops by adding that many. \

I would dry hop with 1 to 1.5 oz. of one of those hops or a 1 to 1.5 oz. combination of them. If you keg, you could add more hops wrapped in cheescloth and suspended from the lid of your keg. When the hop aroma begins to fade, you could add some more using the same method. Keep adding hops to taste as you drain the keg to maintain the intense hop aroma you desire.

I have found that the aromatic intensity I get from strong dry hopping fades over time. But I get a really intense aroma with only 1 oz of something like dry hopped cascades.

Just my $.02.

BTW, this beer does look good!

What yeast are you using? I may have missed that but didn't see it noted. The Chico ale variety has a citrusy tone to me. I also find the Carastan malts and the Baird Crystals have a citrusy character, almost pineapple.

I'm thinking of using WLP-051 CA V since I have a good sample in my fridge. If not I've got a couple of the ever-useful stand-by 001.

Had to adjust the hops due to lack of Centennial anywhere, so the flavor/aroma hops are just Cascade and Amarillo. Dry hops are going to get cut back to 1.25 oz. each for a total of 2.5 oz.

Mashed already and about to start the sparge. I found the limit of my mash tun. :D It's about 13.75 lbs. at 1 qt./lb. Maybe I could get 14 lbs, but thats it.

Off to sparge. :rockin:

Chilling right now. Collected about 8 gallons and boiled 1 hr 45 min, the last hour to the hop schedule. I'll get numbers and a taste in a minute.

OG came out at 1.068 and I think I would have had 5.5 gallons, except the hops soaked up a ton of wort. Tastes great. It's a nice amber/orange color and the yeast are already going to town. I used a sample of White Labs Ca V 051 that I pulled from the primary of a different brew and stored in the fridge. It was showing signs of activity after about 30 minutes! Can't wait to taste the finished brew. :tank:

Nice one. Hope it turns out good.

I brewed an IPA on Friday with a similar gravity with Northdown & Fuggles hops and dry english ale yeast. IPAs always turn out great.

This is only my second IPA. My first was SwAMi 75's "The Standard IPA." I used his as a starting point. When I was formulating this recipe, I knew I wanted to use Columbus as the bittering hop, from my single hop experiment. I went back and looked at SwAMi's recipe and I believe he used Columbus as well. So far it looks and smells great.

I racked it over last night. FG is at about 1.017 which is about 75% attenuation, so the gravity shouldn't go much lower. The taste is great. A little sweet, very hoppy, but not a harsh bitterness. The aroma was good already, but I still went ahead with the 2.5 oz dry hop. This was my first time throwing whole hops in the secondary. What a PITA to get that much hop material through the neck. Constructed a funnel out of paper, but they still got stuck. Getting them out will be another story...

Just bottled the IPA and I must say it is mighty good. Hoppy with a little sweetness to it. Not quite as citrusy as I wanted, but still very good. When this one is gone I'll try it again, but with the centennial hops this time, provided I can find some. Here's some stats:

OG: 1.068
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.7
SRM: 8
IBU: 66
Attenuation: 76%
Efficiency: 75%
Yield: 12 22 oz. bottles and 26 12 oz. bottles. Would have had a few more if the ton of hops wouldn't have sucked it up.

Not bad considering I completely maxed out my system.

I'll be trying a PM version of this soon, maybe with the chico yeast and less crystal. I like how you add a mix of the hops all together. Sounds interesting!

Latest posts

Back