IPA recipe to clear out my old hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdjb

Reaction score
So this is the first recipe I've made from scratch but the goal is to try and clear out some stockpiled simcoe and cascade I got awhile back. I figured I'd try and make an IPA, any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I kind of just searched around the IPA recipe section and looked at some common grains, then added my hops into that. Trying to do this all with just simcoe and cascade :)

I'm big on hop aroma so I went pretty heavy on the dry hop section.

Code:
My IPA - American IPA
================================================================================
Batch Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Size: 7.060 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.8%%
Bitterness: 67.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 8 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
================================================================================
                       Name  Type    Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
       Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 11.000 lb    Yes   No  79%%   2 L
 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 12.000 oz    Yes   No  74%%  60 L
         Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 12.000 oz    Yes   No  72%%   2 L
Total grain: 12.500 lb

Hops
    Name  Alpha   Amount     Use       Time   Form  IBU
  Simcoe 13.0%% 1.000 oz    Boil   1.000 hr Pellet 40.3
 Cascade  6.0%% 1.000 oz    Boil 30.000 min Pellet 14.3
 Cascade  6.0%% 1.000 oz    Boil 15.000 min Pellet  9.2
 Cascade  6.0%% 1.000 oz    Boil  5.000 min Pellet  3.7
  Simcoe 13.0%% 1.000 oz Dry Hop  7.000 day Pellet  0.0
 Cascade  6.0%% 2.000 oz Dry Hop  7.000 day Pellet  0.0

Yeast
        Name Type Form    Amount   Stage
 Safale S-05  Ale  Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
               Name     Type    Amount      Temp    Target       Time
              First Infusion 3.906 gal 162.301 F 150.000 F   1.000 hr
 Final Batch Sparge Infusion 4.839 gal 180.461 F 165.200 F 15.000 min

if you like the hops, I would put less than 15% of your grains as crystals and have more finishing hops. The 30 minute addition is not going to do much for you other than bitter, you might as well either bitter more with it or put it in at the end.

Do you have more hops that what is listed? I would put at least 2oz in at flameout for 5 gallons but that is just how I like my bitter beers. My pales usually have about that many hops.

I think the malt looks good and what I might use. I should say however that Simcoe and Cascade are not my favorite combo, I have found thzat Cascade tends to be overwhelmed by Simcoe. I would, if I had the same choices, Make the boil all Cascade, and Simcoe all dry hop - 2 oz... however...

If I had more hops I would add another. Cascade + some other hop in the boil + .5 oz Simcoe at flame out and 1.5 oz Simcoe + .5-1 oz some other hop (not cascade) for dry hop.

Lastly I had a revelation recently about hop age and bitterness - which as you know are inversely proportionate. I upped the amount of my old hops and the bitterness I wanted was much closer in the finished beer by my taste. YMMV of course but if your Simcoe is more than a year old it might be closer to 10-11% AA.

FWIW etc!
Steve da sleeve

First off, thanks everyone for the tips.

I actually have a full pound of cascade and a 1/2 pound of simcoe. I don't have to use them all at once of course, but I'd like to use as much as possible while keeping the grain bill pretty cheap. With that much hops I can basically go nuts, just as long as it's limited to those two.

In that case go with this <https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-epic-pale-ale-194085/> for your Cascade.

I did a Simcoe/MO SMaSH recently I liked : basically .75 oz of Simcoe @ 60, 15 10 5 and 0 + 2 oz dry hop. If you like Simcoe (& it is my favorite hop bar none) then you will like this. All MO as malt though it might benefit from a little medium crystal.

I recently did something similar, except I made a IIIPA with an OG of around 1.100 and about 18oz of hops in it.

The recipe looks good to me. I am not sure about the 30 min addition but if you're just getting rid of the hops it doesn't hurt to try it and see.

I'd use less crystal (24 ounces is too much) and then do what the others suggested- get rid of the 30 minute addition, moving it to flame out, and I'd also increase the late additions. If it's an IPA, you want less crystal and more late addition hops. Hops added at 15, 5, 0, and dryhopping would be good.

I'd use less crystal (24 ounces is too much) and then do what the others suggested- get rid of the 30 minute addition, moving it to flame out, and I'd also increase the late additions. If it's an IPA, you want less crystal and more late addition hops. Hops added at 15, 5, 0, and dryhopping would be good.

well that's what I said but sounds better coming from you :)

Back