IPA Recipe thoughts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upheaval

Reaction score
I seem to always brew then get opinions on my sub par recipes lol This time I thought I'd get peoples reactions before following through with the brew. I want it to have a nice juicy fruit bite.

7.0%

10.5 2 Row
2.5 Maris Otter
1 Caramel 40L

.5 oz Centennial (60)
1 oz Citra (20)
1 oz Cascade (10)
2 oz Citra (0)

American Ale II
Dry hop with 2 oz Citra

Looks good overall but you may want to check the IBU's on the recipe. My math (using http://www.brewersfriend.com/) calculates that to just about 50-55 IBU (IPA 'style' is 60-120). Thats cutting it a bit low, unless its intentional. If you want more bite I would drop a full ounce at 60 instead of 0.5 (= 71 IBU), OR move the citra up to 45 minutes (= 64 IBU).

Edit: or do both and youll get roughly 85 IBU. This is what I would do, for my taste preference.

Upthewazzu...Pullman huh? Spokane here! What would be the benefit of me going from 20 min to 15?

@mystikhybrid... My software puts me at 42.7 (style guidelines for IPA are 40-70) But I like your idea so am bumping up my 60 min

The recipe looks fine. My personal preference is all Marris Otter and 60L crystal but what you have will make a fine IPA.

Upthewazzu...Pullman huh? Spokane here! What would be the benefit of me going from 20 min to 15?

Yessir, Go Cougs!

I'd give the Citra hops more impact, IMO. Although It'd bring your IBU's down a bit, probably under 40. I'd add another .25oz to your 60min bittering addition to compensate.

Ok, here's my adjustments. Decided to split 2Row and MO.

7.1 ABV - 67 IBU

6.5 2Row
6.5 MO
1 Caramel 40L

1 oz Centennial (60)
.5 oz Citra (20)
1 oz Cascade (15)
1 oz Citra (10)
1 oz Citra (0)

2 oz Citra (Dry Hop)
American Ale II

Since dopping the crystal in my IPA grain bill from 40 or 60 to 20, I am much happier with my IPAs. Not much of a change, but I really noticed it. Still only 3 to 5 percent crystal though. Next step - no crystal and 85 2 row and 15% vienna.

I'd take the crystal down to 1/2 pound or get rid of it altogether. I'd also add an ounce of centennial to the dry hop. Got any thing else to bitter with? That centennial could serve you better near the end of the boil.

Just my two cents. Should be a nice beer any way you look at it. Enjoy man.

Cheers.

Say I dropped the Crystal and added a lb of Vienna. Any benefits to that?

I did 85% 2 Row, 15% Oats this weekend on a 60 ibu 1064 IPA. I also did 7oz of hops at various temps after cutting the gas.

Vienna instead of crystal might make a nice beer but I wouldn't call it an IPA. You said you were making an IPA but really it's an APA. Loose the crystal and add Vienna and you'll have Vienna Ale?

Experimentation is great but I guess you really don't want to make an IPA afterall!:mug:

Vienna instead of crystal might make a nice beer but I wouldn't call it an IPA. You said you were making an IPA but really it's an APA. Loose the crystal and add Vienna and you'll have Vienna Ale?

Experimentation is great but I guess you really don't want to make an IPA afterall!:mug:

Please don't make my head explode lol. I figured if 2ROW still took up 85-90% of my grain bill it would still be considered an IPA, no?

It's your beer, you can call it whatever you want! Just don't try and win a BJCP competition with it. If you're not brewing to style that's cool, I was just trying to guide you toward style guidelines. I brew to style for competitions but also make crap up and that makes some tasty brews!
Well, most of the time anyway!;)

It's your beer, you can call it whatever you want! Just don't try and win a BJCP competition with it. If you're not brewing to style that's cool, I was just trying to guide you toward style guidelines. I brew to style for competitions but also make crap up and that makes some tasty brews!
Well, most of the time anyway!;)

Not so sure about that. The Gold Medal winner for American IPA at the 2014 World Beer Cup uses "substantial amounts of Vienna...". Not trying to be a p***k, just saying.

I think Vienna in your IPA will be good. I also think just splitting the base malt 50/50 between English and American would be good. Either way you go, have fun and enjoy the brew.

Cheers.

BJCP 2008 said:
Malt flavor should be low to medium

OMG WATCH OUT don't put a pound of Vienna in there! It'll be ruined! :smack:

There are very clean IPAs and somewhat malty IPAs. If a POUND of Vienna brings your malt above "medium" (especially when you are reducing sweetness from crystal) I would love to know where you're getting your Vienna. There is nothing wrong with this grain bill, AIPA is a very flexible style.

The difference between IPA and APA is almost entirely in the hops (and what you might do to balance them).

OMG WATCH OUT don't put a pound of Vienna in there! It'll be ruined! :smack:

There are very clean IPAs and somewhat malty IPAs. If a POUND of Vienna brings your malt above "medium" (especially when you are reducing sweetness from crystal) I would love to know where you're getting your Vienna. There is nothing wrong with this grain bill, AIPA is a very flexible style.

The difference between IPA and APA is almost entirely in the hops (and what you might do to balance them).

I guess I just don't see it that way. An IPA is an English style beer. We all know the history behind it and I just don't think the English brewers were using Vienna malt. It's traditionally an English malt like Marris Otter with some crystal malts and Fuggle and East Kent Golding hops.

IPA is like target shooting with a precision rifle.
AIPA and APA are like target shooting with a shotgun!!

My AIPA is Marris Otter with 60L crystal and just a little rye to dry it out and then Centennial for bittering, Cent/Cascade at 20 and Cascade at flame out and for dry hopping. So I don't call it an IPA either.

You have to understand, I'm an anal *****!!:)

There's anal, or exacting to some standard, and then there are just your preferences. You mentioned judging, and BJCP is not unclear.

Vienna is used in many American IPAs. So is pilsner malt. English IPA is its own subcategory, so it's not really a subjective affair. Broadly, IPA means AIPA, and the vast majority of commercial IPAs do not resemble English IPAs in any of the ways you described.

It's cool, it's just a mistake.

Latest posts

Back