IPA recipe - just simcoe, citra and El Dorado

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I'm doing an American IPA on the low alcohol range for the style, not a hazy. Has about a 2:1 ratio of Golden Promise to American 2 row, plus some crystal 80. I only have simcoe, citra, and El Dorado. Need to use up the Simcoe.

Thinking about starting enough Simcoe at about 10-15 minutes to get bittering, with maybe a Simcoe/Citra at whirlpool and DH.

Normally I would use some Magnum and Centennial, but not going to happen this time as I need to start today.
What do you all think, with the hops I have on hand?

Simcoe, Citra and El Dorado will play very well together, and if you keep all your additions late (10 minutes, FO, WP) I would use an ounce of each at each of those phases, and another ounce each for dry hopping, assuming a five gallon batch...

Cheers!

I was a little bit worried, because Citra an El Dorado are typically Hazy, juicy hops, and many posts say to mix with something more piney, dank, like Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, etc., when using in a west coast style. But I guess that Simcoe is somewhat piney, so maybe you are right. I've never used El Dorado in a regular IPA, just NEIPA juicies, so hope I don't get too much Jolly Roger flavor. Probably calculate it to be higher on the bittering range to counteract that.

Back