IPA recipe - hop schedule change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonAle

Almost not Pretend Brewer
Reaction score
I recently brewed an IPA that I absolutely love and want to do it again with a slight change to the hop schedule.

OG 1.057
FG 1.011
IBU 60.4
Bitterness Ratio 1.008

70.5% 2 Row
11.4% C10
6.8% Munich 10
6.8% Wheat Malt
4.5 % C60
Yeast - US-05

60 .5 Magnum
45 .4 Summit
20 1 Willamette
20 .5 Perle
0 1.3 Cascade
0 .3 Centennial
DH .7 each Cascade / Centennial

The flavor of this beer is how I like it, but next time I want just a bit more Bitterness, Flavor and Aroma. The Perle was thrown in because I had them, and not a part of the original recipe.
I'm thinking of doing the revised schedule below.

FW 1 Willamette (20 min in BeerSmith)
60 .5 Magnum
45 .5 Summit
15 1 Willamette
10 .5 Centennial
5 .5 Cascade
0 .7 each Cascade / Centennial
DH .8 each Cascade / Centennial

IBU 69.4
Bitterness Ratio 1.202

I don't know how noticeable eliminating the Perle will be. It was either a mistake to add it or lucky. I would rather not have that many different hops in there again.

Your thoughts on how significant (or not) these changes will make ?

I wouldn't worry about a single miniscule hop swap at 20 minutes. But I would load up on more hops at 15-0-DH. You don't need the 45 minute addition, just more hops late.

I am only looking for a subtle change. I thought the Willamette FW would give me a bit more bitterness and flavor. I also upped the late additions by .5 oz. and moved from 20 and 0 to 15 10 5 0

Do you feel the Summit at 45 min has no flavor benefit ?
That could be replaced with more Magnum at 60.

This is what I would've done...

80.0% 2 Row
7.0% Munich 10
5.0% Wheat Malt
4.0% C10
4.0% Corn Sugar

60 - 0.25 to 0.50 oz. of your choice of bittering hop
15-10-5-0 min. - 6 oz. assorted hops
DH - 0.50 oz. dryhops per gallon of beer

Your choice to do what you want brother. Hop flavor is generally perceived in 20 minutes or less of the boil. I only use 30/45 minute additions when I want a slight bitterness adjustment, or to obtain a more rounded bitterness than simply using it all at 60 or 90.

Your choice to do what you want brother. Hop flavor is generally perceived in 20 minutes or less of the boil. I only use 30/45 minute additions when I want a slight bitterness adjustment, or to obtain a more rounded bitterness than simply using it all at 60 or 90.

That is what I understand as well. I have not done enough brews yet to know first hand these sort of things.

I think youll like the change with the FWH other then would just bump your 0 addition to 1oz each

Thanks for the advice. I am not looking to change much. The batch I'm drinking now is very well received in my house. I think going forward, I want to try the FWH and see what that does. I only want a "touch" more bitter and flavor, without turning this into a hop bomb.

As it is now, it's probably in between and English style and American IPA and I like it.

Went with this. Bottled on 7/6. I'll find out how it is in a couple weeks.

FW 1 Willamette (20 min in BeerSmith)
60 .5 Magnum
45 .5 Summit
15 1 Willamette
10 .5 Centennial
5 .5 Cascade
0 .1 each Cascade / Centennial
DH .1 each Cascade / Centennial - 9 days

Back