IPA recipe check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattldm

Reaction score
Just put together this recipe and wanted to get some feedback. So far I have made two pale ales using centennial and amarillo and I loved them, but I wanted to try something else and not get stuck in a rut. So I changed up the hops for this recipe.

5.25 gal batch
Mash @ 152°
OG 1.068
IBU - 65
SRM 11

10 - lbs Pale 2-row
2 - lbs munich 10L
1 - lb Crystal 20L
1 - lb Honey Malt

1oz - Columbus 60 min
.5oz - Columbus 20 min
1oz - Cascade 10 min
.5oz - Columbus 2 min
.5oz - Cascade 2 min
1 oz - Cascade Dry Hop 7 Days

WLP-001 @68°

Let me know what you think
thanks

You've used that grain bill before? What can you tell me about it? Every time I ask someone about honey malt, they scoff at me. Sometimes they also snicker.

Sorry I don't have credible feedback for your recipe. :cheers:

The hops may get masked by all that malty sweetness. IPA's tend to be on the dry side. If it's your first, I would cut the C-20 to 1/2# and the honey malt to 1/4# and replace with more Pale malt. Modify your next batch if you want it more malty/sweet.

Thanks for the tips.
I am looking for a rich malty IPA, not a dry crisp IPA. Although i love both styles of IPA I'm going for malty on this one.

I'll see about the adding the combo for the 15 min. hop addition, thanks.

If your looking for rich malty I would increase your rest temp a couple degrees. I use wlp001 alot and have consistently got 80-85% attenuation using mash temps around 152F.

If your looking for rich malty I would increase your rest temp a couple degrees. I use wlp001 alot and have consistently got 80-85% attenuation using mash temps around 152F.

Yeah I was Thinking that too. I have used 001 for several recipes and got around 80% attenuation too. So maybe I will bump it up to 154-155.

The hops may get masked by all that malty sweetness. IPA's tend to be on the dry side. If it's your first, I would cut the C-20 to 1/2# and the honey malt to 1/4# and replace with more Pale malt. Modify your next batch if you want it more malty/sweet.

I agree, especially with a IBU/OG ratio of less than 1

Latest posts

Back