IPA isn't carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
My IPA has been in the bottles for about 3.5 weeks now in the high 60's. I put one in the fridge last night and opened it tonight and it gave off the tiniest hiss. I poured it into a cold cup and didn't see any carbonation at all. It's OG was 1.077 and FG was 1.022. I used 5 oz of corn sugar for priming, well mixed.

It was in the primary for two weeks, secondary for two weeks with dry hopping, then cold crashed for a few days before bottling.

I used the stubby bottles that people sometimes have trouble capping with the bat wing capper. I tested the caps by freezing the bottles, pulling them out and immediately capping them, then submerging them in hot water while watching for bubbles. They held plenty of pressure so I'm fairly certain the bottles/caps aren't to blame.

Do I just need to wait longer? I can put them out in the garage which usually stays warmer around mid 70's to low 80's.

You might need to wait longer. I've had some beers take 3-4, sometimes upwards of 5 weeks to really carbonate.

Good luck with it though - I'll be bottling my IPA in 2 weeks and I hope it carbonates well.

The garage is a good idea, wouldn't hurt anyway. Do you see any yeast settlement in the bottom of your bottles? I usually don't cold crash my beer before bottling because I don't want the all the yeast to drop out; especially if I'm bottling a higher gravity beer. It'll clear out nicely when you put them in the fridge for a few days before you drink them. I might be reaching a bit here but maybe not enough yeast was racked over to carb the beer since it was cold crashed before bottling?

The garage is a good idea, wouldn't hurt anyway. Do you see any yeast settlement in the bottom of your bottles? I usually don't cold crash my beer before bottling because I don't want the all the yeast to drop out; especially if I'm bottling a higher gravity beer. It'll clear out nicely when you put them in the fridge for a few days before you drink them. I might be reaching a bit here but maybe not enough yeast was racked over to carb the beer since it was cold crashed before bottling?

I thought about that too, but I have cold crashed a few batches now and they have all carbed up just fine.

Hopefully more time and more temp will help this batch.

I've had trouble with the stubby bottles. Many times, even when they felt sealed, they weren't.

Update...

Put them in the garage for 5 days and inverted them a couple times to rouse the yeast. Opened one last night and it was much more carbonated than the first one I tried, tasted pretty good too. A couple more weeks might be needed though. I used WLP002 yeast which is high flocullating, and cold crashed twice, so they likely need more time than usual.

Back