IPA Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrbijl

Reaction score
Im thinking of making a very, very, very hoppy IPA (or an IIPA, if you want).
This is both for a local competition at my university where most brewers will be coming up with regular pale ales (to shock the BMC drinking judges a little) and because I love them hoppy and bitter beers..

Im planning on basing my recipe of 7 pounds of light lme, a coopers pale ale kit and then maybe as much as a pound of extra hops.

The hops I have lying around are 4 oz of nelson sauvin, 8 oz of amarillo, 8 oz cascade and an oz of leftover simcoe..

However, I only have limited experience with the different types of hops, and none in combining them. So I was wondering what a good schedule/combination would be.

Any suggestions?

4 oz cascade 60 min
2 oz cascade 30 Min
(reserve 2 oz cascade for dry hopping)

Everything else at 10 min.

2 oz cascade dry hop.

Cheers!

Well you definitely have enough hops. I would start with some amarillo at the start of the boil say something like this:

0.5oz Amarillo - 60 minutes
0.5oz Amarillo - 45 minutes
0.5oz Amarillo - 30 minutes
0.5oz Amarillo - 15 minutes
1.5oz Cascade - 5 minutes
1.5oz Cascade - 2 minutes

This would get you roughly 99 IBU. Thats a good amount for IIPA.

Well you definitely have enough hops. I would start with some amarillo at the start of the boil say something like this:

That schedule will get you about 50 IBUs with a full-wort boil. Less if you are doing a partial boil. Make those 1 oz additions of Amarillo and you will have yourself a beer.

I have actually done this one before, except with all Amarillo.
I was thinking more along the line of 150 IBU's.

edit:
I only boil 2 gallons, as that is the largest pot I have.. If it is recommended, I could do two boils; one with only the late hops and one with the malt extract and early hops?

I have actually done this one before, except with all Amarillo.
I was thinking more along the line of 150 IBU's.

edit:
I only boil 2 gallons, as that is the largest pot I have.. If it is recommended, I could do two boils; one with only the late hops and one with the malt extract and early hops?

Here is the recipe I was originally thinking of:

Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract - 7 lbs
Briess Golden Light Dry Extract - 2 lbs
Briess 2 Row Caramel 20 - 1 lbs
Caramel Pils - 8 oz
Amarillo Pellets 2 oz @ 60 mins
Amarillo Pellets 1.5 oz @ 45 mins
Amarillo Pellets 1.5 oz @ 30 mins
Amarillo Pellets 1.5 oz @ 15 mins
Cascade Pellets 2 oz @ 5 mins
Cascade Pellets 1.5 oz @ 2 mins
Wyeast Labs American Ale II (Starter)
Dry Hop with Cascade

According to my calculations (Brew Builder) This is what you would end up with:

OG: 1.078
FG: 1.020
IBU: 149
SRM: ~8
ABV: 7.6

Granted, not sure what boil size Brew Builder uses, but I am sure I could plug that in when I get home to Beersmith to get the accurate numbers.

edit:

boiling 2 gallons and then diluting with 3 gallons of top-off water dilutes both your malt and hops - adjustments to recipes are made, of course - but if/when you can take this to a full-boil (10-gallon pot, 6.5 gallons of start water...) you will get better hop utilization.

I'd look for a larger pot or use 2 for a larger boil volume. This will be like oatmeal in a 2 gallon pot and your hops extraction will suffer terribly.

IMO the 45 & 30 minute additions are a waste of good hops. Get your bitter at 60 with the nelson sauvin & then use the balance @ 15 minute and less and for the DH. Something like:
60 minutes
1 oz nelson sauvin
15 minutes
1 oz nelson sauvin
1 oz amarillo
1 oz. cascade
10 minutes
1 oz nelson sauvin
1 oz amarillo
1 oz. cascade
5 minutes
1 oz nelson sauvin
1 oz amarillo
1 oz. cascade
flame out
1 oz amarillo
1 oz. cascade
DH
1 oz amarillo
1 oz. cascade
1 oz simcoe

I have looked around for a larger pot, but unfortunately that really has no place in my budget at the moment.. I could use double the amount of hops for half a year, and still spend less than buying one of those large pots.

However, that schedule looks very nice! Im thinking two separate boils, one including the malt extract and one with just hops.. That would give one of the boils some time to cool while I boil the other (as I dont really have a cooling set-up).

I have looked around for a larger pot, but unfortunately that really has no place in my budget at the moment.. I could use double the amount of hops for half a year, and still spend less than buying one of those large pots.

However, that schedule looks very nice! Im thinking two separate boils, one including the malt extract and one with just hops.. That would give one of the boils some time to cool while I boil the other (as I dont really have a cooling set-up).

Personally I'd prolly just split it into two (as identical as you can) boils. I think that would be your best bet. The hops need the malt extract to convert. Cheers!!!

so, i did this one..
and i used roughly a pound of hops in a regular 5 gallon batch..

unfortunately, my coopers dry yeast (which usually starts in 3 hours) hasnt shown sign of life in the past 12 hours..
now i know i should rdwhahb, but i am studying for my final tomorrow, and then leaving my bucket alone for three weeks while i leave town.

so heres a few more questions:
1. Could extreme amounts of hop acidity kill yeast?
2. Would using a third pack of yeast damage my beer and leave an insane amount of trub?
3. I left my hop bags in the wort, should i remove them?
4. is Safale US 05 good for an IPA/IIPA?
5. is it a bad idea to leave a blowoff-tube for the entire fermentation without cleaning? I assume this baby is going to take off like a rocket once it starts..

thanks a lot guys!

1. Hops shouldn't "kill" your yeast.
2. Can't hurt at this point.
3. Hops bag from the boil? Get it outa there.
4. US-05 is much preferred over coopers IMO.
5. It's fine as long as it doesn't get plugged.

Latest posts

Back