IPA HOP SCHEDULE HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porter1974

Reaction score
What would you do if somebody gave you pounds of mosaic and el dorado whole hop cones?

I want to make an IPA and liked the all mosaic recipe from Northern Brewer. It was good when fresh and actually held up long term.

It was:

11 lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs Vienna Malt
.5 lb caramel 40
.5 lb caramel 80
1 lb corn sugar

Does anybody have any good suggestions for a hop schedule utilizing those 2 hops?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there. I would start tweaking the grain bill. I think the two Caramel malts are too much. Crystal malts can interfere with hops. Keep the 2-row and simply up the Vienna. Vienna ( if good quality ), will add subtle biscuity, toasty notes that work with hops. The colour will also be much lighter and more appealing, especially for something that is meant to be refreshing, like an IPA.

El Dorado, although high AA%, is not as potent as Mosaic, Citra ands the likes. Mosaic can also turn a bit dank and oniony ( chives - some people like that ). Do you have other hops on hand?

I would add 1-2 oz of something like El Dorado, Columbus, Amarillo, Chinook at 5 minutes left in the boil and then whirlpool 60% El Dorado ( 5-7 oz ) and 40% Mosaic ( 4 oz ). Dry hop for 2-3 days with the same ratio.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the input. I have some tahoma, willamette, centennial and Columbus as well. The tahoma is a really nice hop.

You think maybe 11bs 2 row and 2 lbs Vienna?

Last edited:
Brewing with whole cone hops is very different than with hop pellets, in my experience. They will soak up a ton of wort, and the more hops you use, the more wort they will soak up.

That being said, while I understand the suggestion to mix in other hop varieties (presumably pellets), I would go with the two whole-cone varieties you have, just because it's fun.

I love Mosaic and would just alternate the two - after using the El Dorado at 60 for bittering, start throwing hops in at 20, 15, 10 and 5. Old school, but I like the results of that method. You can use a calculator to determine amounts based on your recipe, volume, and AA% content. If you need help with any of that, just ask.

Sounds like a fun experiment!

Pappers_ does make a good point with cones soaking up more wort. To reach your volume, simply add a bit more malt and water, as per your favourite calculator. I recently brewed a Pale Ale with Topaz and Summer, both cones/leaf, and they did absorb more wort, but not as much as I feared. I still reached my desired netto volume of 6.2 gal.

Now, if you want a West Coast IPA, you should probably go for something with more IBUs and a more classic hop schedule: 20 IBUs at 60', and hop additions every 5 minutes, starting from the last 15-20 minutes of boil. A little whirlpool addition can also do wonders to the flavour.

My input was leaning towards getting more flavour and all IBUs from a cool whirlpool, rather than using hops in the boil ( where you undoubtly get a bit of flavour, but not as much as with a whirlpool ). 1 oz El Dorado at 5', 5 oz El Dorado + 3 oz Mosaic in a 30' whirlpool at 160F, would still get you around 50 IBUs.

As for the grainbill, yeah: 75% 2-row and 25% Vienna would make for a good malt base for a lot of IPAs, Pale Ales, Belgian Ales, etc. Simple, yet will provide enough colour and subtle malt flavour, without covering or fighting the hops.

I ran the hop additions through brewers friend with the almost all whirlpool additions. I can’t get a good prediction of ibu. I went 160 degrees for 30 minutes. It shows a really low ibu level. It can’t be accurate.

What do you put in for utilization?

For my system, I use 4% utilization. The temperature and time make no difference when input in Brewer'sFriend. It's only the utilization procent that changes anything.

My friend sent Citra instead of Mosaic. I took all the recommendations into consideration and came up with this recipe. One question i had was the IBU number. Brewer's Friend adds IBUs for dry hopping so the IBU looks way to high. If this is the case I may do away with the dry hop addition or at least reduce it.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: El Dorado/Citra IPA

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.17%
IBU (tinseth): 125.84
SRM (morey): 4.53
Mash pH: 5.6

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - Pale 2-Row (84.6%)
2 lb - Vienna (15.4%)

HOPS:
5 oz - El Dorado, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 15.7, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min at °F, IBU: 42.76
3 oz - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 30 min at 160 °F, IBU: 17.98
1 oz - El Dorado, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 15.7, Use: Boil for 2 min, IBU: 4.37
5 oz - El Dorado, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.7, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days, IBU: 42.76
3 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days, IBU: 17.98

No IBUs are added through dry hopping. You must have it left on boil or something. There is a dry hop option in the drop down menu. Dry hopping can add perceived bitterness in higher qty, but I would not worry with 8 oz.

Brewer’s Friend software was kind of wonky last night. It was messing up a few things and would not syncs properly. I definitely had it in as dry hop.

Thanks again for your help. Brewing this up on Memorial Day.

Wanted to thank everybody for their help. This beer turned out fantastic. I used a total of 17 ounces of hops! All but one one ounce were added via whirlpool or dry hop.

I did get some hop debris in my keg. I have a conical fermenter so this usually isn’t a problem. As I was taking the beer out I think the dry hop bag laid over where the beer was drawing from.

Back