IPA for non IPA lovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
So I've tried allot of ipa's and have liked very few. What's a good IPA for someone who hates ipa's?

What specifically do you hate about IPAs? Without more information, the only answer I can give you is "one somebody else drinks for you." If that's to your liking, PM for my shipping address. :D

You might as well be asking why kind of car is best suited to a person that doesn't like driving -- any of them with a chauffeur.

Yeah I would go with starting on Pale ales. These should have a good amount of hop pressences and bittering without being overpowering. If you start thinking these are starting to lack then move onto the IPAs

also english ipas are a lot less hop foward and bitter compared to american ipas

Which IPAs did you like? What is it that you don't like in the others?

Like sours, IPAs are probably an acquired taste and ultimately not for everyone. Why would you want to force yourself in drinking something you really don't like?

As suggested here, (regular) Pale Ales, and in particular the British style, are much more laid back.

Maybe it's more advantageous to focus on what kind of beers you do like? There are plenty to choose from, and make for a nice journey in beer.

Sierra Nevada's plain green-label Pale Ale is one that most lager-fans like. It is the "gateway" IPA.

If you want one that is technically labeld as an "IPA" then try Sierra Nevada's Celebration. It has more of a malt-hop balance.

I enjoy malt forward IPAs quite a bit, so Dogfishhead 90 minute is a favorite of mine. Modus Hoperandi is good also, but has a little stronger bitter taste.

Where'd you go, OP?

Try Anchor's Liberty Ale. Unless you don't like hops, then quit drinking.

Sorry I haven't had a chance to be on in a while. I tried a few more ipa's and found a few I liked. Grand circus IPA by Atwater was real good. So was pale ale and torpedo by Sierra Nevada. Torpedo is prolly my favorite IPA I've had. I just think I don't like the extreme bitterness I've gotten from other ipa's like hopslam and huma lupa licious. Thanks for your help.

Surly Furious. It is very hoppy, but several of my friends and family that hate IPAs love it. Actually, I haven't run into anyone who doesn't love it. Problem is, unless you live in Minneapolis or within 100 miles you can't get it. You'll have to brew the clone from Midwest Supplies.

My wife is not an IPA fan, but she does like SN Torpedo and 3Floyds Dreadnaught. While I am a huge IPA fan I have had a few I don't like. I guess you just have to find some IPA that suits your taste.

Dave's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues is a good intro to IPA's

20130308_181857.jpg

My neighbor is a hop head- grows some really nice Cascade hops- we meet regularly in the afternoon during the summer for a beer or three... he always brings high-alcohol, super-hopped beers while I bring malty, 4-6%, session beers... a compromise if you will is: Pyramid Wheaten IPA and Deschutes Red Chair... fantastic ales... IPA-ish without being kicked in the teeth by hop-bitterness-overload...

http://www.pyramidbrew.com/our-brews/wheaten-ipa
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/red-chair-nw-pale-ale

Last edited by a moderator:
Back