IPA ferment time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoblue

Reaction score
I know/heard that if you let an IPA or any hoppy beer sit for a long time it will start to lose it hoppiness. So my question is how long do I let it sit. I have an IPA that I let set in my fermenter for 1 month and transferd ot to the bright tank for about 2 weeks now. I thinking I am losing some of the hops flavor, so do I need to keg/ bottle it now or is it ok for a little longer. I only have bottles available at the moment as my two kegs have beer in them.

Well, what purpose is there in leaving it other than waiting for a keg to come available? Its not like the hop flavor disappears, it just mellows with age. So it's not exactly a race against the clock, it's just understanding that the bright, fresh hop flavor will fade a little in another month or so. I say go ahead and bottle it, but it won't be a travesty if you wait a bit longer.

or - don't dry hop until you're ready - in an IPA, a lot of the flavor/aroma comes from dry hopping.

My IPA sits in the fermenter 3 weeks, then a week of dry hopping, then keg. Two weeks of carbonation and I start drinking!

Back