IP Based Fermentation Monitor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickbath

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking of several ways of obtaining notifications when my fermentation is done. Instead of getting something off the rack (e.g: beerbug) i thought of getting my hands a little dirty.

As such, i am looking either:

1) Have an IP Based gravity sensor which has SNMP Enabled (which can feed gravity readings to my monitoring server) which has alerts thresholds to alert when the beer is done - perhaps if no change in gravity for 2 days

2) Have a gravity sensor which i could connect to a Pi 3 (which ive got handy) which could trigger alerts via email

Any thoughts? I know i might be re-inventing the wheel a little ;p
Im leaning more towards Option 1. ;)

Hi,

I am looking of several ways of obtaining notifications when my fermentation is done. Instead of getting something off the rack (e.g: beerbug) i thought of getting my hands a little dirty.

As such, i am looking either:

1) Have an IP Based gravity sensor which has SNMP Enabled (which can feed gravity readings to my monitoring server) which has alerts thresholds to alert when the beer is done - perhaps if no change in gravity for 2 days

2) Have a gravity sensor which i could connect to a Pi 3 (which ive got handy) which could trigger alerts via email

Any thoughts? I know i might be re-inventing the wheel a little ;p
Im leaning more towards Option 1. ;)

Have you found the gravity sensor part of this equation? To me the networking / notification element is the "easy" part - getting a SG reading to prompt those notifications is the part most people struggle with.

Really the 'unit' should not be notifying .. it should just be relaying the SG and software elsewhere (an app on your phone for example) should be alerting you. The reason? Simplicity. It is much easier to interpret data via an app leaving, and keep the programming within the unit as small and simple as possible.

Back