Fermentation Control System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curruscanis

Reaction score
Hello all, I would like to introduce a system that I have been working on to get any comments / questions from this forum. I started this project after attempting to make a brewpi-remix system work for my needs with limited success. The problem that I ran into with the brewpi-remix was mainly that I was running a glycol system and it was not really designed with that in mind. Lbussy, was more than helpful in attempting to assist me in getting a system that would work and I was able to make it work, but I found it was just to fussy and had too much that I didn't need.

So I created my own, I am currently testing this in an "Alpha" semi production right now.

My Fermentation equipment used with this is two SSbrewtech 1/2 barrel Unitanks with internal glycol cooling coils and external heat pads, an SSbrewtech Glycol Chiller.

The Control system is configured with multiple temperature sensors, one for each Unitank, one for Glycol, and currently an extra that I am using for ambient air or a future bright tank.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words here are the pictures of the built hardware and screen shots of the web interface.

10.1" Touchscreen interface and LCD monitoring
Fermentation system front picture.jpg

Bottom of the unit - power, heating and cooling 12v DC ports for each unitank - Temp sensor connectors
Fermentation system bottom picture.jpg

Next, screenshots of the web interface for each of the screens:

Main Status Display screen - overview of all temps and last 6 hours of the Unitanks.
Fermentation system Main Status 1.PNG

Unitank 1 configuration and monitoring interface - This screen is for activation of the Heating/Cooling system on the tank. Setting of the setpoint of the temperature desired and indicators for if the heating/cooling system is currently running as well as current temperature and graph of various temperature readings over a selectable time increment.

1 Hour selected
Fermentation system Unitank cooling 1 hour.PNG

6 Hours selected
Fermentation system Unitank cooling 6 hour.PNG

Configuration screen - used to define given variables, alerting, hysteresis settings, temp sensor allocation and the ability to reboot / shutdown the system.
Fermentation system Configuration.PNG

Thank you for any comments or questions on this Fermentation Control System, it is a work in progress and I plan on moving to a "Beta" test where I do a full run with a beer next week.

The computer in the system is a Raspberry Pi, tested with both 3 and 4 hardware versions. The data is stored in a database and displayed using a full feature web based interface. Other hardware includes a 12 volt power transformer for the pumps and heating systems - relays to turn on various systems, digital temperature sensors, 10.1" touchscreen interface for direct control as well as a 4x20 LCD display for reading temp if the larger screen is asleep. Remote systems can log into the web page and control from anywhere via browser.

The cooling system is glycol based using the SSbrewtech Glycol chiller with a 12 volt pump per Unitank that is powered / controlled by the Fermentation Control System.

The heating system uses the 12 volt heat pads supplied by the SSbrewtech FTSS system - The FTSS system is not used as it is replaced by the Fermentation Control System.

Currently my tests have been with a 1/2 barrel unitank full of water and running it through scenarios of holding a given temp as if I was brewing. E.g. holding at 65 degrees F for 2 days - raise / lower temp to another set point like cold crashing to 38 degrees F ( I did 38 not 34 due to using water... I didn't want to cause a freeze ). Raise temp of the Unitank above ambient and hold for more than a day. Each of these tests has been successful and the system appears very stable.

Thanks again!

Amazing. Keep posting!

Hello all, I would like to introduce a system that I have been working on to get any comments / questions from this forum. I started this project after attempting to make a brewpi-remix system work for my needs with limited success. The problem that I ran into with the brewpi-remix was mainly that I was running a glycol system and it was not really designed with that in mind. Lbussy, was more than helpful in attempting to assist me in getting a system that would work and I was able to make it work, but I found it was just to fussy and had too much that I didn't need.

So I created my own, I am currently testing this in an "Alpha" semi production right now.

My Fermentation equipment used with this is two SSbrewtech 1/2 barrel Unitanks with internal glycol cooling coils and external heat pads, an SSbrewtech Glycol Chiller.

The Control system is configured with multiple temperature sensors, one for each Unitank, one for Glycol, and currently an extra that I am using for ambient air or a future bright tank.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words here are the pictures of the built hardware and screen shots of the web interface.

10.1" Touchscreen interface and LCD monitoring
View attachment 651866

Bottom of the unit - power, heating and cooling 12v DC ports for each unitank - Temp sensor connectors
View attachment 651868

Next, screenshots of the web interface for each of the screens:

Main Status Display screen - overview of all temps and last 6 hours of the Unitanks.
View attachment 651871

Unitank 1 configuration and monitoring interface - This screen is for activation of the Heating/Cooling system on the tank. Setting of the setpoint of the temperature desired and indicators for if the heating/cooling system is currently running as well as current temperature and graph of various temperature readings over a selectable time increment.

1 Hour selected
View attachment 651869

6 Hours selectedView attachment 651870

Configuration screen - used to define given variables, alerting, hysteresis settings, temp sensor allocation and the ability to reboot / shutdown the system.
View attachment 651867

Thank you for any comments or questions on this Fermentation Control System, it is a work in progress and I plan on moving to a "Beta" test where I do a full run with a beer next week.

The computer in the system is a Raspberry Pi, tested with both 3 and 4 hardware versions. The data is stored in a database and displayed using a full feature web based interface. Other hardware includes a 12 volt power transformer for the pumps and heating systems - relays to turn on various systems, digital temperature sensors, 10.1" touchscreen interface for direct control as well as a 4x20 LCD display for reading temp if the larger screen is asleep. Remote systems can log into the web page and control from anywhere via browser.

The cooling system is glycol based using the SSbrewtech Glycol chiller with a 12 volt pump per Unitank that is powered / controlled by the Fermentation Control System.

The heating system uses the 12 volt heat pads supplied by the SSbrewtech FTSS system - The FTSS system is not used as it is replaced by the Fermentation Control System.

Currently my tests have been with a 1/2 barrel unitank full of water and running it through scenarios of holding a given temp as if I was brewing. E.g. holding at 65 degrees F for 2 days - raise / lower temp to another set point like cold crashing to 38 degrees F ( I did 38 not 34 due to using water... I didn't want to cause a freeze ). Raise temp of the Unitank above ambient and hold for more than a day. Each of these tests has been successful and the system appears very stable.

Thanks again!

Nice work - really looking forward to follow the updates!

One question regarding the 12V SSB heat pads - how many amps do they draw?

SS Brewtech claims about 6 amps on the 12v heat pad... I haven't done a direct test myself.
Aha, that's actually surprisingly high, but I guess there is some overhead, and that the real number is a tad lower. 72 Watts sounds a bit harsh. Thank you so very much for the answer :)

Back