Iodophor in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldaug

Reaction score
I have been reading alot on various sites about homebrewing and on several I saw suggestions of adding a Iodophor solution to the airlock. I took this advice. I poured a couple of drops into the cap and dumped it into the airlock, then filled with water. I dumped most of this out and refilled to the line to dilute it. After sealing the fermenter I pressed down on the lid alittle and it sucked about 1/3 of this iodophor solution into the beer. Should I be worried?

No, it's not enough iodophor to taste. :cool: Somewhere here there was a thread on rinsing, and a link to a fairly extensive article on how much iodophor it would take to be able to taste it in your beer...it was a lot more than an airlock full.

But on that subject, when I did my first brew I filled my airlock to the line with vodka, as many have suggested here. Almost all of it was immediately sucked into the beer. I figured I was just drunk and hadn't really poured any in, so I filled it to the line again, and that got sucked right in too. At that point I figured this was all a hallucination, so I put the vodka back in the freezer, poured a little water in the airlock and went to bed, and until just now I figured it must have never really happened. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :D

I could turn this into a rant, but I think I'll behave for now. I understand that everyone believes in different "levels" of sanitation, but worrying about what liquid you put in your airlock :confused: Come on!! Especially in the "beginners brewing forum". Like newbies aren't freeked out enough about things. As long as you are careful and properly sanitize your equipment...not STERILIZE it....you do not have a lot to worry about. Your beer will be fine. You will love it. It will love you. This is a hobby that can be taken to many different levels, and everyone of 'em will achieve what we want. Soooo, newbies....do not worry about what type of liquid you put in your airlock, or if you need a secondary fermentor, or if your carboy is being exposed to the sun, or if you racked too soon or too early, or hot side aeration :eek: :eek: :eek: I could keep going but I think I will stop. In the words of one of our favorite authors....Relax, Have a Homebrew.

later...loop

Well, nobody here actually told him to put the iodophor in his airlock...we were just trying to assure him that his beer wasn't ruint.

But you are correct...I should have told him to relax and have a homebrew, so I'll say it now. loop er I mean ldaug, relax...have a homebrew. ;)

Drift, El P

Your both right on. I should listen to my own advice. I didn't think anyone on here told him to put iodophor in his airlock, but with all the extreme measures a lot of people talk about on here in regards to sanitation, he probably would have come to that conclusion. I'm relaxed now, I think I'll have a homebrew :)

loop

Edit...Oh, my god!

I just went from being a "Member" to a "Senior Member" with that post. Maybe now I should have 2 homebrews. :D

loopmd said:
I just went from being a "Member" to a "Senior Member" with that post. Maybe now I should have 2 homebrews. :D
Congratulations...I think 10 brews is customary for this momentous occasion. :cool:
I do tend to agree with you by the way...I think there are some that get carried away. But I guess if you do have to get anal about something then going overboard on sanitation is certainly not going to hurt anything...especially for a beginner like myself. :)

Back