Iodophor and Thyroid Cancer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIMcDunnough

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been home brewing now for 6 years. I use Iodophor to sanitize all my equipment. I recently was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and got most of my thyroid removed. After some initial searches on the internet I did not see anything about the use of Iodophor and any connections with thyroid cancer. I am just wondering if there are other home brewers out there that use Iodophor and have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer or even have thyroid issues.

As for my state of mind, I'm doing well! I'm even brewing batches number 73 and 74 tomorrow!

H.I.:mug:

I hope you can recover totally. Good luck. Sincerely.

I think iodophor is based on iodine tincture: it's one of the most used antibacterial, so I think it's not related to cancer.
Moreover, at the university I studied that thyroid diseases are caused by lack of iodine, not the excess.

Thanks for your well wishes, didinho. For some reason, I thought that they might be related.

Anyway, I noticed that your brewery is called backdoor brewery. I refer to my home brewery as Backdoor Brewing Company. I'm a big basketball fan. Neat coincidence!

H.I.

Sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis. As to your question on the relationship of iodophor and cancer the link below is to an EPA document on the registration of iodophor. It is a bit technical. The statement related to your question is on page 10 of the actual document (pg 19 on the wed presentation).

http://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyNET.exe/...ile=D:\ZYFILES\INDEX DATA\06THRU10\TXT\000000

36%5CP100L2D2.txt&User=ANONYMOUS&Password=anonymous&SortMethod=h%7C-&MaximumDocuments=1&FuzzyDegree=0&ImageQuality=r75g8/r75g8/x150y150g16/i425&Display=p%7Cf&DefSeekPage=x&SearchBack=ZyActionL&Back=ZyActionS&BackDesc=Results%20page&MaximumPages=1&ZyEntry=19

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 9.32.49 AM.png

Anyway, I noticed that your brewery is called backdoor brewery. I refer to my home brewery as Backdoor Brewing Company. I'm a big basketball fan. Neat coincidence!

:mug: we should make a collaboration beer!

I prefer football (the european one, played with foot and ball)

Back