Iodophor - 12.5 or 25 ppm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What concentration?

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I'm switching to iodophor to try and get rid of an infection that star san doesn't seem to work on. Can't seem to find a consensus on whether to go with 12.5 or 25 ppm. Is it better to use the stronger concentration to be sure it's effective? Is it still okay to use as a no rinse at 25 ppm? Any taste issues?

Thanks!

If you really want to disinfect (instead of just sanitizing) some gear with a stubborn infection, mix it up to a higher concentration, say ~100ppm. Contact time is key--leave it on the surfaces several minutes. You will have to rinse well.

If you really want to disinfect (instead of just sanitizing) some gear with a stubborn infection, mix it up to a higher concentration, say ~100ppm. Contact time is key--leave it on the surfaces several minutes. You will have to rinse well.

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I've grown to think I've got a wild yeast that is resistant to star san and so figured I'd use iodophor for a couple batches to see what happens. But, in theory I could also disinfect some equipment with star san at super high concentrations. I've got a fermonster that I don't want to stain with iodine, maybe I will hit it with a super high dose of star san and then rinse. In the Brewstrong sanitation podcast the guy from 5 star says you could disinfect or even sterilize equipment with star san at high enough concentrations and exposure times.

Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I've grown to think I've got a wild yeast that is resistant to star san and so figured I'd use iodophor for a couple batches to see what happens. But, in theory I could also disinfect some equipment with star san at super high concentrations. I've got a fermonster that I don't want to stain with iodine, maybe I will hit it with a super high dose of star san and then rinse. In the Brewstrong sanitation podcast the guy from 5 star says you could disinfect or even sterilize equipment with star san at high enough concentrations and exposure times.

That's the trouble with iodophor--the staining issue. Try the higher concentration of Starsan, and maintain long periods of contact (dwell time). Another possibility is to use a quaternary ammonium disinfectant.

I use fresh iodophor at 12ppm on plastics (<5min contact time to avoid staining) and as 'no rinse' (although thoroughly drained) and 25ppm on stainless, especially when switching to a different yeast. Mix and match with bleach solution to keep the bugs quessing wrong. Starsan is more a bactericide and not necessarily suitable for a suspected wild yeast infection.

I use fresh iodophor at 12ppm on plastics (<5min contact time to avoid staining) and as 'no rinse' (although thoroughly drained) and 25ppm on stainless, especially when switching to a different yeast. Mix and match with bleach solution to keep the bugs quessing wrong. Starsan is more a bactericide and not necessarily suitable for a suspected wild yeast infection.

Cool thanks! Yeah I've been dealing with this infection for a while now. On my last batch I eliminated all variables, I cleaned and sanitized everything meticulously and I boiled anything that could be. I went as over the top as possible even misting the air with star san like a maniac. Still had the infection. I have to think it's failure to kill the organism. Gonna see what the iodophor will do. I'll try a 25ppm solution on brew day, don't care if I stain a bucket. I'll probably even go so far as to hit everything with iodophor and then star san.

Nice thing about idophor is that it doesn't deteriorate nearly as fast as starsan. If you aren't mixing starsan each batch new, then it won't be effective.

Bleach!
And UV! Set outside in direct sunlight for a few days, making sure all critical surfaces get thoroughly exposed.

Also make sure your equipment is clean as can be. Use the proper cleaning agents.
Take apart valves, spigots and other potential bug traps. My first encounter was 3 or 4 batches into homebrewing, when I found a nasty slimy black substance inside the rotating main body of the spigot on my bottling bucket. Didn't know the inner and outer barrels of the plastic spigot pushed apart after a brief soak in some boiling hot water, making them more flexible.

Nice thing about idophor is that it doesn't deteriorate nearly as fast as starsan. If you aren't mixing starsan each batch new, then it won't be effective.

Ummm....

Charley Talley has oft stated as long as the pH of the Star San mix is below 3 it is effective.
And to that end I routinely keep almost 6 gallons of Star San/RO Water mix on hand for liquid purging kegs as well as routine sanitation needs for as long as six months at a time.
Never have had an evident infection...

Cheers!

Nice thing about idophor is that it doesn't deteriorate nearly as fast as starsan.
My emphasis ^
As @day_trippr said, I too have kept Starsan working solutions active for several months that way.
Never had an evident infection in my beer either...

A (mixed) working solution of Iodophor, however, has a pot life of 12-24 hours, max!

Can you pour boiling water into those fermenters? You have to be very careful of course pouring boiling water. I went through a bad infection a couple of years ago. What I couldn’t boil, I threw out. I got creative using my kettle for boiling some bigger things.

Back