Inverted keg mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danz

Reaction score
Well I have had this miller keg for years, as a teen I hid it in the back corner of the yard under a trashcan and what do you know it was still there :)

The bottom rim of the keg was destroyed and after discovering that I could invert the keg and use a bottom drain adapter from brewhardware.com it was on! The initial goal was to but the rim off the bottom but ultimately just cut through the side.

The bottom of the keg would be converted into a false bottom however I made a miscalculation and by cutting horizontally the strips had some flex in them. For a quick fix I did some quick spot welds (couldn't find my mask so it looks like hell, blind welding is a bad idea) but a more permanent fix needs to be done. To make sure nothing get though I took ibolt and attached a cheap splatter screen to act as a secondary filter.

IMAG0315.jpg

2014-02-01 18.26.04.jpg

bottom.jpg

false_bottom_3.jpg

false_bottom_2.jpg

The stand was built out of scrap 2x6 from used for shipping large pipe and fittings, its WAY over built but it was free. The mash tun tucks under nicely for storage and a quick mockup of the setup once completed. Next on the list is a pump for a direct fire RIMS setup.

false_bottom_1.jpg

storage.jpg

mock.jpg

Nice work danz. I am trying to make an upside down keg into a fermenter. Wish I had your welding skills.

Lol I know its terrible but you do what you gotta do :) Looking forward to breaking this in and seeing how it performs.

Back