Invert Sugar Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying out a new science experiment today. I need invert sugar for my beer recipe (since invert sugar supposedly converts to alcohol easier for the yeasties). Usually I buy the 1 pound bags of the stuff from my brew store but that costs about $8. So this time I looked up some info on the internet and decided to give it a go.

To get this light colored (I estimate 1-3 SRM) invert syrup I took a pound of white table sugar, 1 gm (1/4 tsp) of citric acid, - available from Amazon or your local homebrew shop - a cup and a half of water, and dissolve it all into a nice saucepan. I let it heat up, stirring often, to 234°F (temperature = color. Higher temp = darker color). For about 10 minutes of internet research, $1-2 in sugar, and 30 minutes in front of the stove I now have 1.25 pounds of invert sugar.

Once this cools it's going into the fermenter with my second batch of yeast. Science is fun!

Invert Ingredients.jpg

Sugar Color.jpg

I thought Sugar in the Raw, Dememera or raw cane sugar were supposed to be used rather than plain table sugar. Or is that just for "more flavor"?

I thought Sugar in the Raw, Dememera or raw cane sugar were supposed to be used rather than plain table sugar. Or is that just for "more flavor"?

That is my take on it. Also, those give more color as well, and I'm trying to keep my Tripel as light in color as possible with the only flavors coming from my chosen grains, hops, and temperature profile for the yeast. The sugar is specifically to bump the ABV with as little impact to flavor as possible.

Seems like a waste of time and effort for clear invert sugar syrup. Just use plain table sugar in the boil, or the fermenter. Inverting it just makes it a little easier for the yeast to convert the sugars, but yeast has no issues with just plain table sugar.

Now, if you want to make darker sugar syrup, the Milliard reactions add an additional depth of flavor.

Seems like a waste of time and effort for clear invert sugar syrup. Just use plain table sugar in the boil, or the fermenter. Inverting it just makes it a little easier for the yeast to convert the sugars, but yeast has no issues with just plain table sugar.

Now, if you want to make darker sugar syrup, the Milliard reactions add an additional depth of flavor.

I'm using this late in the fermenter after already adding two pounds of sugar to the boil and fermenter. At this point I'm making the sugar conversion process as simple as possible for the yeast with the goal of higher attenuation with as few undesirable esters as possible.

I'm using this late in the fermenter after already adding two pounds of sugar to the boil and fermenter. At this point I'm making the sugar conversion process as simple as possible for the yeast with the goal of higher attenuation with as few undesirable esters as possible.

If you think it helps, and gives you piece of mind, go for it.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think inverting the sugar makes any difference. ........ But I could be wrong.

I spent years cooking sugars for Belgians. Experiment & you will get good results. Like anything, repetition & tweaking ingredients. Some things work & some are miserable failures. Science!!!

Back