Inventory, what to buy ahead of time, what to buy as required?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brieuxster

Reaction score
Picked up a 55 lb. sack of 2 Row Pale Malt today in Saskatoon, about a hour and a half down the road.
What are your all grain recipe essentials, and what do you pick up as required? I would like to keep the most common ingredients at home as it is a bit of a journey to get supplies.

I might suggest a couple types of crystal and a sack of pilsen malt. Pick-up a recipe book and see what you brew the most and what they typically use.

I addition to large amounts of 2-row, I always have decent amounts of munich and vienna on hand, several pounds of various light, medium, and dark crystal malts, some carapils, some and some sort of chocolate malt.

that keeps me pretty well covered for basics, and then i just buy the oddball pounds of things like special B, aromatic, etc as needed.

Great way to save money is to get hops in bulk and store in the freezer. I have 7 different varieties of hops ordered from hopsdirect.com that I re-seal in 2 oz packages with a food saver and use as needed. Go over your next couple planned brews and see what hops keep coming up in your recipes. Even including shipping to Canada hopsdirect is under $1/oz

Also it never hurts to have a packet or two of neutral dry yeast in your fridge s-04, s-05 and nottingham are all good choices.

Back